🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I Bid on Weekends?
Page options
91cfaef7
Community Member

Should I Bid on Weekends?

Hye Upwork Gems,

Bidding on weekends is beneficial or not?

Amir Khurshid
24 REPLIES 24
r2streu
Community Member

I would say it depends. If a client is posting jobs on the weekend, then there's a chance they're also checking them.

91cfaef7
Community Member

But Randall, most of the time clients stay busy over weekends.

Some of my GURUS adviced me to not bid on weekends. 

Amir Khurshid
elisa_b
Community Member

And who your "gurus" would be? 

Hello Amir.

Aside that, some clients may post on weekends and stay up to watch bidings. I suppose it would be a good thing to bid at all times, weekends inclusive.

I have bid on weekends and gotten jobs on weekends. If the client posts at such a time then it's certainly a no-brainer to respond "on their schedule".

If not bidding on a weekend is a work-life-balance position, you must already know it means winning fewer jobs. If you're hoping to be on the "top" of the email pile by bidding at the start of a business day, you're making a lot of assumptions about the client's process. If you think applying on a weekend shows you're desperate, well, realize a professional proposal shows you know how to manage your time. You shouldn't shy away from making yourself available to work, unless of course you don't want to work.

For at least the kind of work I do, programming and content creation, my emperical take is that you should bid as early as possible. Technical and creative clients are always ready to get to it.

That said, I'm interested in why your GURUS (is that an emphasis or an acronym?) advised you to not bid. I'd love to hear solid reasoning on that.

Joseph D wrote:

I have bid on weekends and gotten jobs on weekends. If the client posts at such a time then it's certainly a no-brainer to respond "on their schedule".

Well said, Joseph.  I’ve sent proposals on weekends, on the client’s schedule, as I prefer to strike while the iron’s hot.  I see no reason to delay a proposal because it may look “desperate”.  If anything, the boosters look desperate, to me anyway.  Aside from that and as far as I know, if I’m the first proposal I stay that way until the algorithm ranks me out of it.  Then I’m not first anymore but still on the first page, and I’ll stay there until I rank out of that too.  I have no faith in Upwork’s algorithm, so between that, the boosters and the scammers, I’m pretty much shot from the get-go.  So, to me, it’s controlling what little I can for as long as I can; doing the best I can with what little I have to work with.  As you say, Joseph, a no brainer.

Getting back to the weekend proposals, I say absolutely yes.  If a client posted a job on the weekend, then that leads me to believe it’s the best time the client had to post the job, so in all likelihood that’s the time he’s going to review proposals.  No sense in waiting for a weekday to apply because most likely that ship has sailed.

If not bidding on a weekend is a work-life-balance position, you must already know it means winning fewer jobs.

Perhaps for you, but I have seen no data to indicate this is across the platform. One reason I skim, at best, is because there are more scams on the weekend. I have not had the chance to dig into that area deeper.

If you're hoping to be on the "top" of the email pile by bidding at the start of a business day, you're making a lot of assumptions about the client's process.

Yes, absolutely, and about Upwork, too.

For at least the kind of work I do, programming and content creation, my emperical take is that you should bid as early as possible. Technical and creative clients are always ready to get to it.

I know lots of tech folks who do not work weekends, or their chosen days off. This is what I mean. There is no one-size-fits-all for freelancing, or profiles, proposals, etc. Every freelancer needs to look at their business - not what Upwork says, not what others say, and decide for themselves.

The choice is always yours. If you are looking on the weekends, and find a great job, then of course, you should apply if you hold all the requirements. Everyone has to find the balance in their business. What I hate to see is anyone chained to their device, applying feverishly to any job in the desperate hope of getting one, and most are not real.

What I want to see is every freelancer vetting the client and the job. Many need to learn what that means. Vetting is more important than any other factor in jobs.

As I have said before, listen to advice - but think cherry-picking by hand and not using a giant machine to harvest tons of corn. You will hear lots of opinions and "advice." Only you can decide how you want to work, and how you want to establish your career.

calado-marco
Community Member

You should bid anytime, it's all up to you.

From my personal experience there's an average of one/two days until you get a response from the client. It's also my experience that on fridays there's a slight increase of the job offers, what i get from that is that they send the offers on friday, go for the weekend and then review all the bids on monday...

But Marco, if they check on coming Monday. Then i don't think so our bids stayed on top.

Whats your thoughts about it?

Amir Khurshid
elisa_b
Community Member

Bids are not shown in chronological order.

As Elisa said, it's not chronological - the clients don't see the bids in the order they were submitted.

This is why, I, along with other freelancers, tell people there is no need to sit at your device, constantly refreshing the feed and applying for anything. It doesn't matter. Very few clients will hire the first person across their feed, and it's not because they're at the top of the boosted pile. I know that's not what some freelancers will tell you, but they are wrong. Clients do not hire because proposals are on the top. In fact, the clients don't appreciate freelancers who do that without a stellar proposal and holding every qualification.

Upwork says most clients take three days to hire. This means they look at their options. So, why do you, and so many others, insist on throwing away money, time, and effort? That's why everyone wants connects returned. The unwise use of connects is costing freelancers a lot, but earning Upwork an amazing amount of money.

Freelancers need to remind themselves of the definition of their career. It doesn't mean you get everything for free, nor does it mean you are an employee without any rights or benefits. The reason I keep saying the same thing is that I hate to see freelancers do awful things to themselves because they believe they must.

There is no benefit from throwing applications at just any job, applying for a job where you don't hold all the requirements, or making sure you are one of the first applicants. In your haste, you may have sent your proposals to the "other" category, if it isn't boosted, where it is highly unlikely it will be viewed, much less result in a hire.

The clients see the top two lines of the proposal. Boosting should ONLY be used when

1) you hold every requirement in the job description and skills list

2)you know you will be one of the top two freelancers

3) you really want the job.

4) common sense must be used

If the job is for $50.00 and someone boosts 1000 connects, then it is pointless to try and outbid them.

Yes, it is up to the freelancer.

Freelancers who sit at their device, constantly refreshing the feed, and applying for anything, boosting, and then doing it all over again, is exactly what Upwork wants.

In working with freelancers and from my experience, there is never any reason to jump on a job. If they need it ASAP, then someone else can do it if I'm not available and the urgency is not matched by the money. There was a time, years ago, that I would cruise the jobs, looking for something legitimate, but I implemented heavy vetting of the client and job, and still looked for signs of a real client. This is the only time constant checking by the client isn't a scam warning. When you see the client checking the job every few minutes; it's a scam. The scammer is trying to get as many victims as possible before abandoning the job, to do it again, and again.

spectralua
Community Member

For emergency job you are must bid asap. But also you must be available. For non critical you can bid later, it is dont mater.

Yes, i got your point. 

Amir Khurshid
xrmsquared
Community Member

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Upwork used to claim that clients typically hired freelancers within 3 days of posting a new job. If that's true, shutting down your submission of proposals on new projects two days out of every week makes no sense.

In my own little corner of Upwork heaven many of my potential clients have full-time jobs and are moonlighting to try to start their own companies, which means they get most of their work for their startups done in the evening or on weekends. Or they already own a small company and the weekend is the only time they have available for finding a suitable freelancer. So, not posting proposals on weekend is not a good idea for me.

Usually, the earlier you submit a proposal the better, I'd say. Your proposal will be ranked according to Upwork's "best match" ranking algorithm, not in order of submission. If Upwork had any faith that this algorithm is a great aid to clients in more easily finding the "right" freelancer, would mean that for a client to focus on boosted proposals would be a waste of time.

Unfortunately, Upwork has not made public how successful boosted proposals are in winning new projects. Nor has Upwork provided any proof that clients are happier with work done by freelancers who boosted their proposals. 

I strongly disagree with the mindset of applying for jobs as soon as they appear. After analyzing data from hundreds of freelancers, the idea to apply immediately does not turn into a good client experience. Instead, it often results in wasted connects, boosting, and the time and effort from applying with a real application.

Everyone has to do what works best for them.

I see so many jobs that never hire, I'm not going to waste my time unless I see some evidence of a real client. It sickens me, how many times, I will check back, only to discover, 50+ applicants and no activity, whatsoever, by the client. As long as there is a monetary gain from wasted connects, this will continue.

fe9b8d82
Community Member

I bid to a good looking job which I know I can do, regardless of the day of the week.  Having hard and fast rules about bidding seems limiting and kind of silly.  

If you're qualified, if the client appears serious (based on their job description, profile, and other criteria), and the job looks good, just bid.

Yeah, trying to outguess the system and fate itself is probably a loser's game.

Most of my jobs come through invitations, so I'm fortunate not to have to depend on unsolicited proposals to keep me busy. Most of the proposals I have submitted lately have not even been opened by the clients. And, yes, I've tested boosting proposals, which is also a mug's game (at least for me in my specialties).

khadija_sheikh24
Community Member

Bid immediately on job.Client would not wait for you .He can get better fit than you.Sometimes we write persuasive proposal and apply very late.Client did not see our proposal and hence we get disappointed.So apply early to get prompt response from your client.weekrnds do not matter at all.

shadyalmasoudy
Community Member

Hello Amir, 

I would say Bid all times accordingly to the time of the posting of the client!

Sincere question: How do you know? Or is this an opinion? I'm trying to understand why, despite Upwork saying three days to hire, people hurriedly respond.  Are you aware of the "other" category, where proposals that aren't about the job and resemble your or other proposals, go? Do you know about the top two lines?

There are situations where a client needs a job ASAP, but they are few and far between, and often dirt cheap. From my data, I'm not seeing a benefit to making sure a proposal is one of the first.

xrmsquared
Community Member

For small & quick jobs, which I have been doing a bit more of (but which can then turn into longer client engagements), I have definitely experienced that quick bidding is beneficial; preferably as soon as I see a good & matching job.

I have also noticed that clients are slower to hire at the weekends, and are more quickly swamped with bids. So for these small jobs, I want a client who wants to get stuck in straight away, and so weekdays have definitely given me a bigger hit-rate on these.

I personally do not bid at the weekends for these reasons. For larger jobs, I want my bid seen early, but fully expect a longer hiring process on those.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths