🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I Response to a client Feedback or Not...
Page options
daniella_mo
Community Member

Should I Response to a client Feedback or Not?

Hello Family,

I recently joined Upwork as a content writer and so far my first two clients were amazing. Although The second went MIA but didn't end the contract. My third client on the other hand seemed nice at first but later she complained that i wasn't writing it to her brief taste.

I didn't know i was going to get a brief until i submitted the first draft then one of her team mates said i should wait for the brief.

I waited for days for the brief even up till now. I kept reminding her for the brief. later she used my draft to correct my work. After the third re-write she said she was not happy and she ended the contract. Now she's left one horrible review - very horrible that i fear may hurt my Upwork career.

The question now is should i just let the review go or i should respond to it with evidence of our chat where i kept asking for the brief because i feel most client wouldn't understand my POV if they see her comment alone and might not want to give me more jobs?
I would have told her to change it but i understand it is against Upwork terms and conditions.

Please Advice Me😭
8 REPLIES 8
lysis10
Community Member

I vote for letting it go.

Right Jennifer,

But what about my other clients viewing it. Can i still get jobs on Upwork even with that bad review?

Iyiola S wrote:
Right Jennifer,

But what about my other clients viewing it. Can i still get jobs on Upwork even with that bad review?

Maybe? Probably? idk. Probably depends on your skill set and drive. Do you think responding will magically negate it and get you jobs?

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Respond to the client's incorrect feedback as concisely and as factually as you can, including what actions you asked the client to take to ensure the project could be correctly completed and what the client did or didn't do that kept the project from successful completion.

Any other client worth working with will understand that some clients are harder to work with than others. Your best bet is to show potential clients what a professional you are and that you know what you're doing.

And don't reply with the first draft of your reply. Hold off for a day or two and then re-read it. Having someone else read it might also give you some valuable feedback on the impression your reply gives versus the impression you are shooting for.

And other freelancers will appreciate knowing that a potential client is difficult to work with.

Good luck!

petra_r
Community Member

Iyiola S wrote:
  should i just let the review go or i should respond to it?

Usually a response makes things worse. In this case, however, I'd suggest a VERY brief response, such as "Despite asking several times, the client never provided me with a brief"

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

In your case (since you're new and only have two reviews) I would give a full refund, then the public feedback will disappear. You'll still have bad private feedback, but at least you might be able to get a few more projects to reduce the impact on your JSS when you get one. 

I don't understand, though - if the client told you to wait for the brief, then why didn't you wait? I wouldn't have kept reminding her; I would have continued with other work and waited for her to get back to me when she was ready.

Yes Christine, I should have waited, but I wasn't sure and besides the deadline was fast approaching and I wanted to just follow her up so she doesn't forget.

I'd also recommend to do as Christine said. Refund the project so that the public review doesn't damage your otherwise nice start.

The last two words will hurt and any reply you write back as your feedback won't change it to look OK.

Refund. The amount is so small compared to the potential damage for marketing your services later.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members