🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I accept an interview?
Page options
68a23342
Community Member

Should I accept an interview?

Hello everyone! I just got an invitation for an interview but it doesn't match my skill set. I am a Frontend Developer (Intermediate, my profile says that) and the client is looking for a Senior Backend Developer with expert knowledge of PHP and MySQL which I don't have (at least not the expert knowledge).

The client is the Upwork Plus Client. 

Should I accept the interview and how could that affect my stats? Thanks!!! 🙂

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Kenan H wrote:

Should I accept the interview and how could that affect my stats?

Wouldn't that waste both your time and the client's?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Kenan H wrote:

Should I accept the interview and how could that affect my stats?

Wouldn't that waste both your time and the client's?

68a23342
Community Member

It definitely would but then I wondered why did I get an interview in the first place. I know that it is ok to decline the interview and I would select that it doesn't match my skill set because, it doesn't,  and my profile info isn't incorrect so... Declining the interview would be the best option for me and the client, right? 🙂

d_polan
Community Member

I declined one and it did not harm me in any way. You will not be penalized for it.
68a23342
Community Member

I know I already declined one and the important thing is to respond, I figured out that much. Thank you for your help. 🙂

petra_r
Community Member

Kenan H wrote:

It definitely would but then I wondered why did I get an interview in the first place.

I get invited to teach Spanish. I am not a teacher and I don't speak any Spanish. Some clients don't read.

Yes, declining would be the best option.

68a23342
Community Member

That made things a lot clearer now! I don't know why that happens though! 😄 Thank you so much! I respectfully declined and wrote a nice message to the client explaining why I declined. 🙂

Kenan H.,

I often receive invitations to submit proposals on jobs that are completely irrelevant to my skills and experience or are at budgets well below my minimumns. As Petra noted, these clients have clearly not really reviewed my Upwork profile before sending me their invitations.

I usually just check whatever box best applies to my lack of interest and leave it at that - no other explanation is required.

Clients are too busy to respond to every proposal they receive and freelancers should not be offended by these non-responses. I don't think good clients expect or even read any lengthy explanation of why I am not interested in any particular request for proposal.

Thank you for your reply! That is a good attitude to have and good info as well. I will have to memorize this and I already took a note! 😄 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members