🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Should I accept this job offer?
Page options
rowright
Community Member

Should I accept this job offer?

Hello,

I applied to a job and I received a response. I was asked if " I am willing to intern and learn without pay for a few weeks". I didn't know this was a platform for internship. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
anjumarslan
Community Member

Hello,

No, you should not accept said job offer. Instead you can report such job posting and clients who ask you to work for free. Just flag the job posting as inappropriate as shown in the attached photo. Capture.PNG

Upwork is very strict against such clients who ask freelancers to work for free or ask them to submit free work samples.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Arslan **Edited for Community Guidelines**

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
anjumarslan
Community Member

Hello,

No, you should not accept said job offer. Instead you can report such job posting and clients who ask you to work for free. Just flag the job posting as inappropriate as shown in the attached photo. Capture.PNG

Upwork is very strict against such clients who ask freelancers to work for free or ask them to submit free work samples.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Arslan **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Okay thank you. 

Unpaid internships are a real thing that are used in some industries.

But this is not something that is allowed on Upwork.

If I client asked me this, I definitely would NOT waste my time replying to him, or educating him, or anything. I would simply use the "Flag as inappropriate" link to report this.

And then I would block the client in my Messenger tool.

bevcam
Community Member

Tell the client "NO", report them, kick the whole experience to the curb and move on Roxanne.

f0d6aa6b
Community Member

The other day I did come across a similar interesting job post in my feed. the client is offering a 4 week internship for 5$. For a sec I was like maybe he meant 5$/hr, that's when I saw his added up question below.. its something like: 'Did you get it that the whole internship is for 5$ and its not a hourly rate' or so.

And he specifically needs only newbies. the whole thing sounded absurd & thought to flag it & that;s when I saw his feedback history. Apparently he has been successfully doing this internship thing for months or years (dont rem'er). Lots of glowing+mixed reviews on both the sides. Unsure of whether to flag it or not, I just got back to my scrolling the job feed.

The end.

kat303
Community Member

No, you don't have to flag it, The client is not doing anything wrong or violating Upwork's TOS. He is paying although at an insane amount, If freelancers want to work for that amount, that is up to them. And if the client has been doing this successfully for months then there must be freelancers willing to work for a month for $5. And the reason he wants newbies is because experienced freelancers here would never work for that amount. 

Manilal:

There is NEVER going to be a time when all jobs are perfect, or even reasonable.

Upwork does NOT manually monitor and carefully consider every job.

Ultimately, it is up to FREELANCERS to do the right thing for themselves and not accept ridiculous offers.

In my opinion: If a job posting is preposterous, yet theoretically it does NOT violate Upwork's rules... then DON'T waste your time or Upwork's time reporting it, but ignore it and move on.

Kathy T wrote:

No, you don't have to flag it, The client is not doing anything wrong or violating Upwork's TOS. He is paying although at an insane amount, If freelancers want to work for that amount, that is up to them. And if the client has been doing this successfully for months then there must be freelancers willing to work for a month for $5. And the reason he wants newbies is because experienced freelancers here would never work for that amount. 

Not so. Upwork specifically disallows free work or work for very low pay, and requires a minimum rate of USD 3 per hour, so working a month for USD 5 is pretty much slave labor, with the additional question what an intern would learn sitting in front of her computer at home. 

So, always flag those!

Martina P wrote:

Kathy T wrote:

Not so. Upwork specifically disallows free work or work for very low pay, and requires a minimum rate of USD 3 per hour, so working a month for USD 5 is pretty much slave labor, with the additional question what an intern would learn sitting in front of her computer at home. 

So, always flag those!

===============

I was replying to Manilai b post, not the OP's. In Manilai post there is nothing about free work. It also states that the client said it was a fixed rate job. The minimum for fixed rate jobs, is $5 so the client isn't violating any of Upwork's TOS. As I understand (unless I'm wrong, Upwork doesn't specifically disallow jobs with very low pay as long as the pay is not below the minimum requirements.

So if the job's description specifically states that this is a fixed rate job and that is the payment for the job, if freelancers want to submit proposals to work for a month for that amount, so be it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths