cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply if not totally qualified?

expuser
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 17
Hello all, I have found several positions that I feel I am very qualified for but they require a feedback score and/or completed odesk hours...both of which I do not yet have. Should I apply anyway?...or will my application just be disregarded by the client? Thanks!
t-hall
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
2 of 17
From a hiring standpoint, I personally don;t pass over apps that don't meet those particular requirements, although I do feel better about hiring people with a few thousand hours and good rating. That alone isn't a deal breaker though. Some people may be strict with it, some not. I think it's worth applying for those as a contractor myself and have won the bid anyways 🙂
expuser
3 of 17
Oh my goodness...a few thousand hours?...I cannot seem to find more than 10 hrs :( [quote=Tony H.]From a hiring standpoint, I personally don;t pass over apps that don't meet those particular requirements, although I do feel better about hiring people with a few thousand hours and good rating. That alone isn't a deal breaker though. Some people may be strict with it, some not. I think it's worth applying for those as a contractor myself and have won the bid anyways :)[/quote]
cameronjoseph
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
4 of 17
As Tony stated. I apply even though I do not have the hours and use to get the job. But now that falls back on hidden snafu that odesk implemented not long ago. If i do not meet the hours, am i hidden? No way to know.
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 17
I agree 100% with Joseph.. There are 2 different scenarios. a) a couple of months ago, I would just apply (also, say, for a requirement for US native, although I'm not)..but I would make a statement as the first word of the application, like " I know I haven't got A, but I have got B and C, so please read on...." This strategy worked very well for me - for example the last item in my work history (I'm English) was for "native US speaker" - I got $1,000 and 5 stars from it by the same strategy.. b)HOWEVER, since Nov 2013 I've spent most of my time working on old jobs, chatting on forums and filling in applications. In two months I've had ONE expression of interest from a new client based on an application, and the pot has run dry. oDesk's suicidal algorithm means that noone can advise you about how to apply, because the algorithm is secret and random. Whenever you apply for any job, whether or not you fit the criteria for the job post, oDesk's robot decides whether or not it will deliver your application to the client. And you have no way of knowing whether or not it has been delivered..and if not, why not. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's of oDesk's making...they have turned applying to jobs into an unpaid lottery, you have to decide whether it's worth the price of the ticket...
ladyelexia
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
6 of 17
Like many others, I wouold land 90% of the job I bid on, and get an interview for 100% of those I applied to, this has been th case for the past 3 years. Now that they have added auto-hide, I am very lucky to get three interviews in the past 3 months. Thankfully, Most of my cliets are long term repeat cliets, so I am not losing earnings (though I am not gaining new clients anymore), but I can see how this is very badly effecting reliable, long term contractors on this platform. I did notice, that most of the people that end up getting jobs of those I apply to now seem to be newer contractors, who charge a lot less. Granted, some clients always look for the lower rate, but not usually the clients I target, so I think, just ike oDesk has added low rates to the website main page to attract lowballers, they are probably steering clients towards lower priced contractors to keep up their own appearances. Sad really, not all low rate workers are bad workers, but it is the smaller number of well paid, experienced and quality contractors that really keep this place afloat.
expuser
7 of 17
So as the applications are computer submitted, my app may not even get to the recipient?...WOW [quote=Stephen B.]I agree 100% with Joseph.. There are 2 different scenarios. a) a couple of months ago, I would just apply (also, say, for a requirement for US native, although I'm not)..but I would make a statement as the first word of the application, like " I know I haven't got A, but I have got B and C, so please read on...." This strategy worked very well for me - for example the last item in my work history (I'm English) was for "native US speaker" - I got $1,000 and 5 stars from it by the same strategy.. b)HOWEVER, since Nov 2013 I've spent most of my time working on old jobs, chatting on forums and filling in applications. In two months I've had ONE expression of interest from a new client based on an application, and the pot has run dry. oDesk's suicidal algorithm means that noone can advise you about how to apply, because the algorithm is secret and random. Whenever you apply for any job, whether or not you fit the criteria for the job post, oDesk's robot decides whether or not it will deliver your application to the client. And you have no way of knowing whether or not it has been delivered..and if not, why not. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's of oDesk's making...they have turned applying to jobs into an unpaid lottery, you have to decide whether it's worth the price of the ticket...[/quote]
expuser
8 of 17
Gotcha Joseph...thanks!
expuser
9 of 17
Gotcha Joseph, thanks! [quote=Joseph C.]As Tony stated. I apply even though I do not have the hours and use to get the job. But now that falls back on hidden snafu that odesk implemented not long ago. If i do not meet the hours, am i hidden? No way to know.[/quote]
expuser
10 of 17
I thank you all for the assistance...I am learning a lot. I landed my first job, $3/hr data entry, 8 hours, it's complete with a 5 star rating. I felt very happy to have gotten that to earn some oDesk hours. But the pay...there is no way I can live on that, I'm here in the USA...Ohio. I apply to jobs in my niche, real estate (data entry/marketing/research/sales/VA). Take a lot of time and care when submitting my application, being as precise as possible and including a copy of my work example pertaining to that position for their review. I mean some applications take me 15-20mins to complete because I want to be as accurate as possible. I'll bid low for my knowledge I feel, say $6...and always bid out by someone with half that cost. I have been on oDesk for hours and hours and hours...probably 12 hrs/day trying to find a position or two. I feel my profile is pretty darn good too, even with a video post. If I do not get a response within 24-48 hrs, I withdraw it, wait the 12 hrs and submit another one. Have 20 good, solid apps out at all times. I've only been on 5 days, but getting a little frustrated and wondering if I should just go apply at McD's...for real. Thoughts??
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS