cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply if not totally qualified?

coffman-robin
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
11 of 17
[quote=Jessica Russell]I feel my profile is pretty darn good too, even with a video post.[/quote] Your video was actually pretty good, so I am sure you are going to hate it when I critique it. Honestly, I haven't figured out what such a video is actually supposed to look like, but I would say that you are off to a good start. I especially appreciate how succinct it is. Unfortunately, there are some odd, annoying, screechy, bird-chirpy sounds that are quite distracting. I don't think they actually are birds. I think it is an audio issue. If you redo the video to fix it, I strongly suggest that you arrange the camera to mostly show your face, not the room behind you (and maybe put on a bit of makeup? I don't know. That's up to you). I think that will be more appealing. As for your overview, sorry, it's a list. Lists are just not very engaging. Besides that, only the first two items on the list say anything about you in particular. The rest of the list is comprised of factors that can be said about every other freelancer on here (or they should be). The one about attention to detail is something that can be talked up and included in your overview. The rest are given. Take some time and write something engaging that speaks about you. [quote=Jessica Russell]If I do not get a response within 24-48 hrs, I withdraw it, wait the 12 hrs and submit another one. Have 20 good, solid apps out at all times. [/quote] You are probably doing yourself a disservice here. The quota replenishes every seven days without withdrawing any applications. How do you know that the client even expects to look over the applications within 24-48 hrs? If the job is worth applying to at all (and I can easily spend an hour putting together a quality CV, so 15min actually seems like you may be rushing them), it should be worth leaving that app out there for a week. I have never seen the point in pulling apps. [quote=Jessica Russell]I've only been on 5 days, but getting a little frustrated and wondering if I should just go apply at McD's...for real.[/quote] It has only been 5 days. You could get a break quickly and be making the money you want to make in no time at all. For some (most, I think), though, it does take weeks, months, and even years. So, yeah. If their hiring...for real.
expuser
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
12 of 17
Thanks Robin! I am certainly taking your suggestions into consideration and will make some changes (the list profile for sure, background noise in video is ceiling fan I think, going to re-record video with a closer up shot). I can't believe I have to go through all this for a $6/hr position. May I ask what type of hourly wage you are seeking for a CV that you spend an hour on? Really, truly appreciate all your comments. P.s. I do have make up on..lol..but I'm wondering why what I look like is important when 99% of the jobs are online? I'm getting so many Spam offers...craigslist, etc... [quote=Robin C.][quote=Jessica Russell]I feel my profile is pretty darn good too, even with a video post.[/quote] Your video was actually pretty good, so I am sure you are going to hate it when I critique it. Honestly, I haven't figured out what such a video is actually supposed to look like, but I would say that you are off to a good start. I especially appreciate how succinct it is. Unfortunately, there is some odd, annoying, screechy, bird-chirpy sounds that are quite distracting. I don't think they actually are birds. I think it is an audio issue. If you redo the video to fix it, I strongly suggest that you mostly show your face, not the room behind you (maybe put on a bit of makeup? I don't know. That's up to you). I think that will be more appealing. As for your overview, sorry, it's a list. Lists are just not very engaging. Besides that, only the first two items on the list say anything about you in particular. The rest of the list is comprised of factors that can be said about every other freelancer on here (or they should be). The one about attention to detail is something that can be talked up and included in your overview. The rest are given. Take some time and write something engaging that speaks about you. [quote=Jessica Russell]If I do not get a response within 24-48 hrs, I withdraw it, wait the 12 hrs and submit another one. Have 20 good, solid apps out at all times. [/quote] You are probably doing yourself a disservice here. The quota replenishes every seven days without withdrawing any applications. How do you know that the client even expects to look over the applications within 24-48 hrs? If the job is worth applying to at all (and I can easily spend an hour putting together a quality CV, so 15min actually seems like you may be rushing them), it should be worth leaving that app out there for a week. I have never seen the point in pulling apps. [quote=Jessica Russell]I've only been on 5 days, but getting a little frustrated and wondering if I should just go apply at McD's...for real.[/quote] It has only been 5 days. You could get a break quickly and be making the money you want to make in no time at all. For some (most, I think), though, it does take weeks, months, and even years. So, yeah. If their hiring...for real.[/quote]
coffman-robin
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
13 of 17
[quote=Jessica Russell]May I ask what type of hourly wage you are seeking for a CV that you spend an hour on?[/quote] My stated profile rate or higher. If it doesn't take some time, I begin to wonder why I am even bothering. I have to be honest, I do only apply for 2-4 jobs at a time and I only do that once every few months. Of those, I usually land at least one. That's because I take time in choosing the jobs I apply to and take care in writing a cover letter that is catered to the specific job post. It is not cut and paste. It may not take quite an hour, but I certainly expect it to take some time. [quote=Jessica Russell]I do have make up on..lol..but I'm wondering why what I look like is important when 99% of the jobs are online?[/quote] Oh, oops. I didn't make the video full size, so I couldn't tell. It was probably just because you seemed so far away. Your appearance shows the seriousness with which you take the job application process, and thus, the job. (I am not saying there is anything at all wrong with your appearance. Just replying to your comment about why it matters what you look like for online work.)
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
14 of 17
I don't think makeup is important, however I think you could be dressed more professionally. You look like you have thrown on a t-shirt. Throw a jacket over it, put on something more colorful, add a pin or a necklace - anything to make it look like you have made an effort. Your appearance looks much more polished in your profile photo than in the video. It's a bit incongruous to me.
expuser
15 of 17
Thanks so much Marcia. I think the whole part I was missing of oDesk is that this is a REAL job and I need to treat it as such. Put as much effort into it as I would for a local face to face interview. I cannot thank you enough for opening my eyes. Have a great day!!
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
16 of 17
You joined less than a week ago, so you are already doing great having landed your first job.
expuser
17 of 17
That makes me feel a lot better :-) [quote=Marcia Malory]You joined less than a week ago, so you are already doing great having landed your first job.[/quote]
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS