🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I ask Client to close project?
Page options
lanlanonearth
Community Member

Should I ask Client to close project?

Hi,

I currently have two projects on Upwork that I have completed for a while, but still waiting for the client part for changed final deliverable specifications due to uncertainties on both of the Clients' sides. So both projects remain open despite all the milestones have been completed and paid. It seems that it will take a long time for the both of them to finally decide on the format of the final deliverables.

Before these two projects, I took over a year off from Upwork so I don't have a "% success/satisfied" score badge with my profile despite that I have had 100% success/satisfied rate for all the projects that I have completed in the semi-distant past (around ten or so).

I didn't think that having the two open projects would be a problem until recently, I noticed that I am getting very "bad" project listings from the Upwork "Find Work" section. The projects have significantly lowered rates compared to what I used to get before I started on these two projects and I hardly see any project suggestion that's of a professional standard.

Does this drop in project listing quality have to do with the fact that I have these two open/lingering projects and no "% success" score tag with my profile? Should I write to the clients to close the projects (would that help)? Both clients are very nice people and it seems that they just need (an uncertain amount of) extra time. They've paid all the milestones and told me that they will add new ones once they confirm their next steps, but it seems like that could take forever. If I ask them to close the projects now, I feel that they would not feel secure about getting the final edits from me in the future. I don't want to make things more complicated unless this has an definitive effect on my job listing quality as stated above. What should I do? Thank you for any recommendations.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
roberty1y
Community Member

Lan Lan L wrote:

I didn't think that having the two open projects would be a problem until recently, I noticed that I am getting very "bad" project listings from the Upwork "Find Work" section. The projects have significantly lowered rates compared to what I used to get before I started on these two projects and I hardly see any project suggestion that's of a professional standard.

If you mean you are getting jobs with lower pay in your job feed, this has nothing whatever to do with any unfinished projects you may have. Your job feed will always be the same no matter what you are doing with your projects. 

Having unfinished contracts doesn't adversely affect you in any way. But if you think a client has got all the work they wanted done, it's best to politely ask them to close the contract - at least, if you did a good job and expect good feedback.

If you expect bad feedback from the client, it's best to close the contract yourself, because then the client isn't obliged to leave feedback and may not bother to do so. Only the person who closes the contract has to leave feedback.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
roberty1y
Community Member

Lan Lan L wrote:

If you mean you are getting jobs with lower pay in your job feed, this has nothing whatever to do with any unfinished projects you may have. Your job feed will always be the same no matter what you are doing with your projects. 

Having unfinished contracts doesn't adversely affect you in any way. But if you think a client has got all the work they wanted done, it's best to politely ask them to close the contract - at least, if you did a good job and expect good feedback.

If you expect bad feedback from the client, it's best to close the contract yourself, because then the client isn't obliged to leave feedback and may not bother to do so. Only the person who closes the contract has to leave feedback.

Thank you. It seems that it was just chance. I am seeing better job posts now.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

No, absolutely no connection between JSS and jobs in your feed. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members