🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I charge a video meeting? (hourly job)
Page options
evolucija
Community Member

Should I charge a video meeting? (hourly job)

Hello to all!

I am currently working on a hourly contract with a client. It's going amazing and she's such a nice person. The client suggested a video meeting to discuss some feedback. 

My question is - should I turn on the timetrack (and charge) my time on the meeting?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Lucija S wrote:

The client suggested a video meeting to discuss some feedback. 

My question is - should I turn on the timetrack (and charge) my time on the meeting?

It's part of the job, so I always do. I think clients expect to pay you for the time you spend working on their project. I've never had a client question it.

kinector
Community Member

Lucija, sounds like this is a pure business decision and you are free to do as you wish. You define your work and your offering, nobody else.

My simple rule of thumb is this: If the client is directly benefiting from the time with me, I charge the full amount. I have created the expectation before the meeting.

If I'm only to understand the problem of the client and only trying to figure out whether or not I can be helpful, I charge for the time spent after that meeting, not the meeting itself.

I suppose it depends on what value you bring to your client.

Anyway it's up to you, really.

What's probably not cool is to surprise the client with a bill for some 30 minutes that the client didn't expect.

So, as long as you manage the expectations and the client is fine with that, you'll do just fine. No problem.

Good luck! 👍👍

Should you charge for a meeting?
I always do.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

I always charge clients for all time I spend working with them directly or working on their project. This includes all phone and video calls.

Upwork should connect its own VOIP and Zoom apps to TimeTracker, as it is indisputable that if I am on a call with the client that is time spent on the client's behalf. And I could then delete it from my work diary, if I didn't think the client should be charged.

I shouldn't have to put the time in manually or take another action to get this time automatically included in my protected hourly projects. It is clear that Upwork already tracks the exact duration of each call; it's listed on the message page for each project. 

Maybe that's coming. We'll see.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Lucija,

Once TimeTracker is up and running be sure to use your mouse and keyboard throughout the call, so TimeTracker knows you are working.

Otherwise the time spent on the call will not be eligible for Upwork's excellent hourly payment protection.

bilal1983
Community Member

Hey All,

How about turning the tracker on to watch a Loom tutorial sent by the client to learn how to do a new task?

Initially, I was getting a fixed-price for doing certain tasks, and that included watching the tutorial and completing the task. I informed him how long it took me to complete the task (minus time spent learning how to do it). Now, he has a general idea how long certain tasks take.

And, now when I am on hourly basis, I think he might notice that it costs him more on average to get tasks done by me. Because I want to track time whenever I am communicating with him on chat or email, or watching tutorials. These things were not noted earlier and the client only knew how long I spent actually doing the tasks other than long chat sessions, watching tutorials, etc.

I know that everything should be tracked technically. Its just that initially the client tested my abilities by giving me several fixed-price projects, and now when I am on hourly and he might think I am trying to milk extra money from him.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths