🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I charge for travel time for a local o...
Page options
evancater
Community Member

Should I charge for travel time for a local on-site job?

I have a new client who wants work done in person, about 45 minutes from home. They asked if they need to pay for travel time. The only post I could find on the topic seemed to indicate that freelancers are expected to charge for travel time since they could otherwise spend the time working for another client. Is that the case? Does Upwork have a policy on this? It seems a little odd to charge for a commute, but it's true that I could be earning during that time otherwise.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
wlyonsatl
Community Member

It's completely up to you and your agreement with your client, but you'll have to use manual time if you want to charge them for the actual time spent commuting - TimeTracker will notice there is no activity on your keyboard and not track time during your commute.

If this project occupies you full time for more than a few days, you could think of it as a regular 9 -to-5 five-days-a-week job, where the commute to work is not typically included in your paycheck.

But if the project only takes a few hours a week and is one of many projects you're working on, I'd probably charge for the commute time and give the client the incentive to use your time wisely so you can keep your commuting time to a minimum.

I'm not giving tax advice but if you don't charge the client for travel time, I would suggest tracking it as a business expense.

evancater
Community Member

Thanks for the feedback. It's about a 3-hour-a-week assignment, but maybe I will give them a break on travel time and just report it on my taxes.

tlsanders
Community Member

Like Will said, I would make the determination based on the specifics of the commitment. If I were putting in an 8-10 hour day onsite, I wouldn't charge a client for travel time. But, if I'd be spending 1.5 hours on a round-trip commute for a three-hour gig, that's a different story. In some situations, rather than charge it hourly, I've just tacked on a $100 (or whatever) "travel fee". 

I won't commute at all unless the client pays me for a full day (I hate commuting and it's one of the reasons that I went freelance in the first place!). It sounds like your client expects you to charge for travel time - or they wouldn't have brought it up - so I would go ahead, if I were you. I'd also expense petrol and parking charges.

Christine A wrote:

I won't commute at all unless the client pays me for a full day (I hate commuting and it's one of the reasons that I went freelance in the first place!).

THAT!! I spent so many years traveling for work and commuting I know every inch of the M25 and the M4 and the M23 and Heathrow airport.

The idea of traveling for anything other than pleasure fills me with dread.

One of my clients wanted me to go to a trade fair with them which years ago I'd have adored. I said no.

Besides, I no longer own anything business appropriate to wear.

Petra R wrote:

Besides, I no longer own anything business appropriate to wear.

Then the client should be billed for a suitable wardrobe to! Smiley LOL

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members