cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I 'charge' time for weekly phone conferences with Client?

Highlighted
Marta L Member Since: Apr 15, 2015
1 of 12

I recently started a part-time hourly gig (8 hrs/wk) and the Client has stated that we will likely have two phone calls a week to stay in sync.

Should I log my time in the oDesk Team app during those phone conferences? It won't show me doing any work (typing, etc.) just having a conversation in GoToMeeting with my Client. (I log into the conference call with my personal cell phone.)

We had a phone conference last week to get things started, and I did not log my time into the time-tracking app for that. Just wondering going forward...

I did ask the Client last week about this but she said we wouldn't use oDesk for the call, just GoToMeeting. So I don't think she understood what I was asking.

Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 12

Hi Marta,

If your client wishes to occupy your time regularly they should pay for it.

It's really at your discretion, but make sure that your client agrees to this arrangement beforehand as you don't want them to raise a dispute later on.

Instead of sitting in a meeting with the client, you could be working on another assignment or something else. You have to let the client know that your time is precious.

How long do the conversations last? This is what it comes down to.

Also, phoning into an online meeting is chargeable to your landline. You have to ask yourself if you mind paying extra for the phone bill.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 12

Hi Marta,

You can ask your client to allow Manual Time on your contract. That way you will be able to enter the hours you spend working for this client but away from your computer into your Work Diary and be paid according to the payment schedule. Note however, that Manual Time does not qualify for the oDesk Guarantee.

~ Valeria
Untitled
4 of 12

Ok, Valeria, I just came out of the phone call. It was an hour and a half long.

She definitely wants to pay me for my time for these phone calls and she will figure out best way to compensate. Last week, our call was 1 hour long and neither one of us is sure how to add to the logged hours for last week (now under review).

She wants me to keep a log of my 'phone call' time but I would prefer a guaranteed form of payment through oDesk.

Can I simply, from now on, turn on oDesk Team (is that what everyone's calling the time tracker?) for the call and type up notes while listening? I am at my desk for the phone call and taking notes by hand but just as easily can type them up. She's showing me her screen (via GoToMeeting) while we're talking so I can adjust the window pane to view both windows side-by-side.

Is this what most people do for phone conferences?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 12

Hi Marta,

Yes, you can definitely track your time using the Team App while on the phone and taking notes on your computer. As for the last week's time that wasn't logged, you can ask your client to issue a bonus to pay you for it. The client can easily do it from the contract overview.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
6 of 12
How long are the meetings? It may not require logging any time, and also a way to foster good relations.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Ace Contributor
Cesar G Member Since: Feb 11, 2015
7 of 12

Marta, if it is work-related, log your time. Take notes during the meeting so the tracker knows you are not idle.

Think about it as the meetings in a regular office: nobody schedules coordination meetings "after work".

8 of 12

I wanted to thank everyone for pitching in with ideas and good questions. Today's phone conference lasted an hour and a half and the client definitely wants to pay for this time. She assumed I was "logging" my hours somehow but will make sure that I get paid for this week's 1.5hr call and last week's 1hr call.

Not sure how, but here's hoping!

I think the best way to log/track future (phone call) hours is to use the oDesk Team app. Is that what everyone's calling the time tracker?  I'll just type up notes during the call; hopefully that will count as sufficient 'activity' to qualify for earnings.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
9 of 12
That sounds like a good plan Marta. Using the oDesk Team app will legitimately log the time spent and in that way is covered (guaranteed) for payment.

Remember though that if the app senses long periods of inactivity, it will not log that period.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
10 of 12

it will be sufficient to qualify unless the client is very sneaky,because the client aready knows what you were doing during that time - you were talking to him/her

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS