🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I dispute?
Page options
7a2c2c32
Community Member

Should I dispute?

Firstly I am new a user on Upwork. Doing Python developing currently.

I had an interview. The job was a bit challenging for me but not impossible. So I hesitated to accept the offer he sent and started to try if I can handle this. After awhile, I've decided to accept the offer and started doing the project.

The contract was consist of two milestones: Little amount in the Escrow to start the project, the left is after the delivery.

I almost completed the project after a busy day, however then he told me that he found another solution for the job and it is better. And said "Thanks for your effort." Then he cancelled the project. When I go to the contract, it says "canceled by the client, Escrow return requested." And when I click Respond to Request, there are two options like :

-I approve returning the remaining funds in escrow to the client.

-I do not approve this request and want to file a dispute.

Additionaly, I've sent a lot of photos and videos while script is running. Also, the result products of the script with a video (script is downloading files automatically from a website, so I've sent video with the files that was downloaded by the script.). 

What should I do? Is there any good chance if I don't approve the request and want a dispute? The project is 95% finished already.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
2a05aa63
Community Member

You can only try to communicate.
It's not correct for the client to just stop the project in the middle or end of it and pay nothing. You can propose to compensate for your time which will be less than the agreed sum, while you don't have to finish the project (the last 5% of the project are mostly the last 50% of the project). 

If this doesn't work, then you can could a dispute, but it won't help much, because upwork will give a non binding suggestion. The client will still have to agree to release the money, and will only waste your time. Better just communicate that it would be unfair to you to leave you without any compensation of your time. If they still don't do anything - release the escrow, close the contract and leave a honest review.

This way they might not leave any feedback (which is benefitial) and if they do, that's the best one you could get (since you gave them what they wanted).

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "The contract was consist of two milestones: Little amount in the Escrow to start the project, the left is after the delivery."

Why would you do that?

You are supposed to set up milestone escrow payments to pay for the work that is done for a given task.

Remember that a client may end a contract at any time. A client is not obligated to set up a second milestone or pay you a second payment.

As for the refund request, of course you should dispute that request . The client has no right to ask you to work on his behalf and then not pay you for the work that you did.

This client was completely out of line.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members