🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Should I end contracts my self and take r...
Page options
_eugene_
Community Member

Should I end contracts my self and take risks?

tg_image_145695392.jpeg

Hi there!

I am web developer and already 8 years with Upwork!

Sometimes my new clients with small, 5-10 hours projects do not end our contrct.

Even if I ask them, few times, on the finish line, before project done.

I know that, they are happy with my work.

But they still do not have time to finish it and leave feedback.

Right now I have 100% JSS and top rated badge.

Right now I have 17 open but not alive projects.

Some of them was done 3 years ago.

I have tryed to reach those clients, but they just ignore me now.

I know, that not alive open project effect on JSS, but why should i take risks and finish it now?

6 REPLIES 6
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

An open, idle contract is a neutral factor in your JSS calculation (provided you were paid anything at all on that contract, no matter how long ago). It has zero effect.

At the end of a project, send the client one message telling them you appreciate working with them and if they don't need anything else, they can close the contract and re-hire you later with one click. Then leave them alone. If they close the contract, they will be required to leave feedback. If they don't, there is nothing you can do about it.

A closed contract with no feedback does not hurt your JSS as long as you don't have a very high percentage of them. If it bothers you to have open contracts sitting around, then close them gradually, one for every one or two that closes with feedback. Chances are, a client who drifted away without closing a contract will not respond to the email inviting them to leave fb when you close the contract. So you don't want too many of those too close together.

The simplest thing to do is leave open, idle contracts alone.

Thank you Phyllis.

I've recently has got result of my profile Analysis by **Edited for community guidelines**

She has leaft a note about my not closed contracts, and now I'm starting to worry that it is has an affect on JSS.

**Edited for community guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

Eugene F wrote:

I've recently has got result of my profile Analysis by xxxxxxxxxxx

She has leaft a note about my not closed contracts, and now I'm starting to worry that it is has an affect on JSS.

That may have been the case years ago. It no longer is.

Your JSS is 100% so obviously they have no effect.

What matters is that money was at some point paid under those contracts. Once money was paid they don't do any harm (or any good) unless they make up most of your history. I let mine creep up to 30 at oe point. Made no difference.

Just close one once in a while and relax.

Eugene F wrote:

tg_image_145695392.jpeg

What the what is a 999% JSS?

_eugene_
Community Member

Petra thank you for your reply!

But how do you know that? 😃

I am sorry, I am new here, and i dont know, are you an аfficial representative of upwork, or do you work in the company?

Also, I am scary what will be after 10 years 😃

200 unactive contracts 😃

p.s. 999 just a joke)

petra_r
Community Member

Eugene F wrote:

Also, I am scary what will be after 10 years 😃

200 unactive contracts 😃

Well, obviously you don't let it build up to 200. You close one every once in a while, starting with the oldest.

Maybe take some time to write to all those clients just the once, asking them politely if they don't mind closing thise contracts if they have nothing further for you at the moment. A few likely will. If you don't hear back from them, go ahead and close one. Wait a bit and a few "normal" contracts that close with feedback, close one or two more, And so on until you've tidied them up.

Eugene F wrote:

are you an аfficial representative of upwork, or do you work in the company?

No I am not and I don't, but I do know what I'm talking about most of the time, particularly where the JSS is concerned.

_eugene_
Community Member

Gotcha, thank you 😃

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths