🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I give a discount for a late project?
Page options
chris_hecker
Community Member

Should I give a discount for a late project?

I have a 125 minute transcription gig at $1 per audio minute.

Due to some health problems I'm going to be a couple days late with the project.

I messaged the client yesterday to inform her of this and haven't heard back from her yet.

From the communication I've had with her she didn't seem to have any pressing deadline.

My JSS dropped to 79 percent from 88 percent on Sunday.

I really don't want my JSS dropping any further. Plus I feel genuinely bad for the delay. The client has been super friendly in the communication that I've had with her.

I was thinking of lowering my rate for the project to $0.75 an audio minute for being so late with the project.

Should I do this?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Chris H wrote:
I was thinking of lowering my rate for the project to $0.75 an audio minute for being so late with the project.
Should I do this?

I wouldn't volunteer it, just wait what the client says and press on getting the work done in the meantime. I doubt it makes a difference.

Chris H wrote:
I really don't want my JSS dropping any further.

It will drop further anyway because of the contract that ended last Sunday evening (after the last update) where the client wasn't happy.

Too many of your contracts seem to run into difficlties... Can you somehow try to identify the reasons for that, and then take corrective action?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Chris H wrote:
Should I do this?

I wouldn't volunteer it, just wait what the client says and press on getting the work done in the meantime. I doubt it makes a difference.

Chris H wrote:

It will drop further anyway because of the contract that ended last Sunday evening (after the last update) where the client wasn't happy.

Too many of your contracts seem to run into difficlties... Can you somehow try to identify the reasons for that, and then take corrective action?

Chris H wrote:

@petra_r wrote:

Chris H wrote:
Should I do this?

Chris H wrote:

This particular contract actually turned out really well for me, with a happy client as well as a bonus to top it off.

I think a big factor in difficulties that I run into with my contracts is my unstable health at the moment.

Going to be taking a little time away from freelancing until my health is more stable.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths