🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I have business to be freelancer ?
Page options
drprasad12
Community Member

Should I have business to be freelancer ?

In W-8BEN section, Its asking for "Legal name of Business". But I am not running any kind of business. Am I supposed to have business if I want to work as freelancer in upwork

4 REPLIES 4
kasim92
Community Member

No, just add your legal namee - whatever entity pays your tax, so as freelancer without a company juxt your name
ahmad-moore
Community Member

Prasad, 

I had the same question. Based on Mohammad's answer, I think a follow-up question would be, is there any benefit of me having a registered business name vs. not having one?

re: "I had the same question. Based on Mohammad's answer, I think a follow-up question would be, is there any benefit of me having a registered business name vs. not having one?"

Depending on where you live, depending on what type of work you do, depending on how you file taxes, etc... There may indeed be advantages and disadvantages to having a registered business name. That is not really an Upwork question, however.

There are no "Upwork advantages" to having a registered business name. Upwork isn't giving you a discount or favorable search results status or anything.

You may wish to speak with your tax and business consultants about this.

Hi Ahmad and Prasad,

If you don't have a registered company please provide your full legal name in that field, along with your personal address on the Tax Info page under Settings. Check out this help article for more details. 

Freelancers are able to enter their company name in the legal name field on the Tax Info page if they'd like their company name to be displayed on their invoices.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members