Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I hide my Earnings?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Amrin S Member Since: Jun 23, 2018
1 of 9
I am planning to increase my rates, would it be better to hide my earnings? I am using Plus membership though
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 9

Amrin S wrote:
I am planning to increase my rates, would it be better to hide my earnings? I am using Plus membership though

No.

Any client you apply to can still see your previous earnings, anyone else will simply think you are shifty and have something to hide.

If you want to increase your rates, do so gradually and naturally, step by step.

Ace Contributor
Amrin S Member Since: Jun 23, 2018
3 of 9
So it's no benefit of hide earnings, then why it’s being shown a feature?
Community Leader
Robin H Member Since: Apr 9, 2018
4 of 9

Amrin S wrote:

Hello Amrin,

I think, yes, you should, I did the same and now have high paying clients...

Now, I can show my rates, but don't want to let people know, how much I earn...

All the best!

Community Guru
Yeasir A Member Since: May 16, 2017
BEST ANSWER
5 of 9
You can only hide your earnings from freelancers, not from clients you apply to! So, it’s not recommended.
But some freelancers like to hide their earnings and they may find it useful!
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 9

Robin H wrote:

Amrin S wrote:

I think, yes, you should, I did the same and now have high paying clients...

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Clients you apply to can see that your "high rate" is a joke and that you are working at less than half.

That makes you look dishonest. From a client's point of view I would dismiss your proposal simply because of the huge discrepancy between your profile rate and what you are actually working at.

Community Leader
Robin H Member Since: Apr 9, 2018
7 of 9

Like hell you do.

Clients you apply to can see that your "high rate" is a joke and that you are working at less than half.

I have been honest with my clients, what my current rate is...

There was a time, when I gave it a try, by hiding my previous job rates, I din't misguide any of my clients, they thought that I deserve, as much I'm asking for...

Thank you!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 9

re: "So it's no benefit of hide earnings, then why it’s being shown a feature?"

This is a legitimate question.

There are a number of options - including being able to hide your earnings to a certain extent - which Upwork DOES NOT ACTUALLY want freelancers to use, but which freelancers kept asking for. So Upwork made some fo these options available as non-default options, or as premium-member-only options.

So basically, Upwork thinks that freelancers (and by extension Upwork itself) make more money when they DON'T hide their earnings. But Upwork allows freelancers to do it if they insist and are willing to pay for the privilege.

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
9 of 9

In my opinion, there is no point on hiding. Most of the time, with a couple of clicks you can find out what a freelancer charged for a past job, even if the freelancer's history shows "private." So the feature is actually useless.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS