🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I leave negative feedback for a client...
Page options
michaelj206
Community Member

Should I leave negative feedback for a client?

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to leave negatve feedback for a client in this situation. 

This week I was hired for a brief job of troubleshooting and resolving a very unusual issue with the client's WordPress site. The client had posted it as an hourly job and I gave him an estimate of 1-3 hours. When he made the offer, he had created a fixed-price contract one hour at a time. I hesitated but went with it. When I brough this up after I finished the first hour and asked for the second, he messaged me that he "didn't want to pay for exploration of the problem, only resolution of it" and that if I couldn’t resolve it in 2 hours he would be a “dissatisfied customer.” He insisted that he knew where the problem was (it wasn't) and that he couldn't understand why I'd have to check for plugin conflicts etc.

In the end, I was able to rule out several issues for him in that time as well as alert him to other problems on his site. I told him I didn't want him to be dissatisfied, so I wouldn't submit the second milestone (hour) since I hadn't resolved his problem (it seemed like a good idea at the moment).

Today the client approved the first milestone and ended the contract. I feel pretty certain that he's left me a bad rating and feedback. On one hand, I want to leave feedback that lets other freelancers know what my experience with the client was like. On the other, I don't want to be petty or defensive. 

Should I leave negative feedback for the client now, or wait and respond to his feedback if it's negative? If he does leave negative feedback, which would be my only poor rating, what's the best way to handle it?

Thanks for all your help!

7 REPLIES 7
askwhyweb
Community Member

Hi Micheal,

From my experience the main objective is to leave feedback not related to job but a summery overview about your experience. Keep it balanced rather than going too negative or too good to cover your professionalism on professional platform. 

Thank you, Farhan. That's what makes me indecisive. If I talk about the job, not the client, I can stick to the facts. I find it trickier to say that the client is a bit of a bully without referring to the job specifics.

petra_r
Community Member

@Michael J wrote:

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to leave negatve feedback for a client in this situation. 

This week I was hired for a brief job of troubleshooting and resolving a very unusual issue with the client's WordPress site. The client had posted it as an hourly job and I gave him an estimate of 1-3 hours. When he made the offer, he had created a fixed-price contract one hour at a time. I hesitated but went with it.

This is a terribly important lesson to learn. This was going to go wrong right from this moment forward. Chinese National Day does not have as many red flags as this had, right before the start. Now you may (probably will) see a big drop of your JSS and (possibly) poor feedback on your profile because you didn't listen to the "This Will Go Wrong!" voices in your head.

Next time you "hesitate" - clarify or decline. Life is too short for horrid clients.

Leave accurate and honest feedback. If need be, you can always respond to whatever feedback you'll get either way. But learn your lesson that when something appears to be off, it is. When you think something may well end in tears, it probably will.

You're right about the red flags, Petra! Usually I follow my instincts, but the one time I ignore them...

browersr
Community Member

While it is on you for accepting a contract type you did not expect nor want, it still seems that the client's attitude and working style deserves to be reviewed negatively. I very specifically call out this quote "didn't want to pay for exploration of the problem". This is utter nonsense. "No doctor I am not going to pay for the diagnostics, just the surgery if needed!" How well would that go over? This is complete disrespect of a professionals time. Time you take with the client is time not taken for compensation elsewhere. He also seemed to question every step you took in what was a very low time project. If the guy is such a know it all, he should have just resolved it himself. I can only  go on what you wrote, but I definitely would not be leaving this guy a positive review regardless of what he says about you. Remember the review of the freelancer is infinitely more important than the client so there is a good chance he won't read it or care anyway. Even if he does, so what? You really want to work with this person again? 

That's how I felt, Scott — disrespected. Those quotes were copied from my Upwork Messages. There were more, too. I felt duped, too. This isn't the kind of work I've been accepting anymore on Upwork because in my experience, the smaller the job, the bigger the headaches. But I went against my gut on this one, mainly because the client seemed reasonable and had an average 4.85 star rating. 

Right now on my profile, it says 'No Feedback Given' for that contract. I'm not sure if that means they gave no feedback or if the feedback will apear when I've given mine. 

I'm thinking about giving him one star and the following review:

The client had posted an hourly job to resolve a very unusual issue. I gave him an estimate of up to 3 hours. He set up a fixed-price contract one hour at a time and later said that if I couldn’t resolve it in 2 hours he would be a “dissatisfied customer.” He wrote that he didn’t want to pay for “exploration” of the problem, just “resolution” of it. I was able to rule out several issues for him in that time as well as alert him to other problems on his site.

And no, I'd never work with him again. Your feedback is much appreciated Scott!

@Michael J wrote:

That's how I felt, Scott — disrespected. Those quotes were copied from my Upwork Messages. There were more, too. I felt duped, too. This isn't the kind of work I've been accepting anymore on Upwork because in my experience, the smaller the job, the bigger the headaches. But I went against my gut on this one, mainly because the client seemed reasonable and had an average 4.85 star rating. 

Right now on my profile, it says 'No Feedback Given' for that contract. I'm not sure if that means they gave no feedback or if the feedback will apear when I've given mine. 

I'm thinking about giving him one star and the following review:

The client had posted an hourly job to resolve a very unusual issue. I gave him an estimate of up to 3 hours. He set up a fixed-price contract one hour at a time and later said that if I couldn’t resolve it in 2 hours he would be a “dissatisfied customer.” He wrote that he didn’t want to pay for “exploration” of the problem, just “resolution” of it. I was able to rule out several issues for him in that time as well as alert him to other problems on his site.

And no, I'd never work with him again. Your feedback is much appreciated Scott!

Feedback is double-blind meaning neither he nor you can see what the other wrote until both sides submit feedback or a certain number of days go by (I think 14). Regardless neither side gets the chance to see what the other party said while still having the chance to review the other person. This makes good sense as the review shouldn't be based on the other person's review. 

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths