🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I log hours during video call with a c...
Page options
krischronic
Community Member

Should I log hours during video call with a client?

Hi everyone!

Basically, I am doing some work with a client under the hourly payment method.

I have done one week with him, we never had a phone call or anything really to discuss his project properly. The call isn't due to any bad work on my part, just as he was very busy previously and so wants to talk about his system now.

I am wondering if it's OK or frowned upon for me to log the hours for the video call?

It's not an interview (obviously I'd never log an interview). My main logic is consultants would charge per hour for face to face meetings so why not on UpWork? I mainly want to log it as I have had experiences in the past with clients where calls took a full hour and obviously I was unable to do other work during so it's cutting into my work time and this went unpaid which did cause a dent.

Let me know what you think,

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Lara K wrote:

Basically, I am doing some work with a client under the hourly payment method.

I have done one week with him, we never had a phone call or anything really to discuss his project properly. The call isn't due to any bad work on my part, just as he was very busy previously and so wants to talk about his system now.

I am wondering if it's OK or frowned upon for me to log the hours for the video call?

It's not an interview (obviously I'd never log an interview). My main logic is consultants would charge per hour for face to face meetings so why not on UpWork?

If the client asked to talk about the project and you are hired then yes, that is work time and should be logged.

I track such calls, but if conversation derails and ends up (towards the end) turning into a chat about anything other than the project I turn the tracker off. I

Perfect, thanks for the reassurance!

jojomo
Community Member

Yes - if it's work/project-related, you definitely should.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths