🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I refund a client?
Page options
eaquintana
Community Member

Should I refund a client?

Hello everyone, first of all, thank you very much for your help.

So 2 weeks ago I finished a project for a client, when delivered he said it was perfect, he approved the manual time logged and even left a 5-star review.

The job consisted of doing a 3D Model based on a PDF technical drawing he sent so it could be manufactured. The problem is that 2 weeks later he receives the prototype and he notices 1 of the main measurements is not correct. Now, this measurement is not properly shown in the drawing he sent, meaning that the drawing does not show the main width dimension on the drawing, but it does show a width of a secondary feature that can be easily interpreted as the overall width considering how it is displayed on the drawing (note that technical drawing should follow design standards that this did not follow). I've been working on this for more than 7 years and in my opinion, it would completely logical to assume that was the overall width.

In my field mistakes like this happen frequently and I believe he would be responsible for at least reviewing the 3D Model and making sure everything is correct before sending it to the manufacturer. I believe he did not review the final file, or that he didn't interpret the right measurement as well.

I would like to add that in this type of work, is really common to have some issues like this, this is why people do prototypes, to ensure everything is correct, but now the prototype arrived, the product is not the correct width and he says I am wasting his time when this could all be solved if he just reviewed the measurements of the 3D Model I sent in the first place. 

So, I am planning on refusing his request but offer him to fix this measurement right away, but I would like to know if he has "grounds" to fight this refund request or if he would be able to change the feedback. In my position, what would you do?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Eduardo A wrote:

So, I am planning on refusing his request but offer him to fix this measurement right away,

If the client were to dispute, you would lose all hours you logged *LAST WEEK* (only) but not before then, because manual time is not protected. But if the contract ended two weeks ago, it's all over (except in very rare circumstances.

Your offer to fix it is fair. It could be said that maybe checking the measurement if it was in some way unclear would have avoided this.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Should I refund a client?"

As a general rule:

No.

petra_r
Community Member

Eduardo A wrote:

So, I am planning on refusing his request but offer him to fix this measurement right away,

If the client were to dispute, you would lose all hours you logged *LAST WEEK* (only) but not before then, because manual time is not protected. But if the contract ended two weeks ago, it's all over (except in very rare circumstances.

Your offer to fix it is fair. It could be said that maybe checking the measurement if it was in some way unclear would have avoided this.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths