🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Should I refund a dispute? Will disputing...
Page options
91ef1f7c
Community Member

Should I refund a dispute? Will disputing impact top-rated status, regardless of the outcome?

Brief summary:

- Client hired me for a flat-rate job, I budgeted 2-4 hours

- After spending 6 hours troubleshooting, I provided client with my recommendation on how to resolve

- The client does not agree with my assessment and claims work is incomplete, then filed a dispute

- I reached out to the client and offered to accept a 50% payment, but the client declined

So, my question is -- will filing a dispute delay my return to "top rated" status in 4 more weeks? As much as I feel I should be paid for the work I've done, I also know how many more job invitations I typically get as top rated. I believe I lost top-rated status to another dispute 8 weeks ago even though I ultimately prevailed and was paid (although it could have been the negative "review / job not completed" left by the client which pushed me under 90%). I'm not completely certain and unwilling to take a chance. 

Has anyone been through this before? I want to be paid, but I'll eat the $200 if it means disputing will delay top-rated by another 12-16 weeks.

Advice appreciated. 

BTW -- I've read this article (https://community.upwork.com/t5/Content-Corner/Facts-about-Disputes/td-p/258942) and others, and it sounds like disputes themselves do not impact top-rated status. Rather, the review/score left by the client who filed the dispute is impacting overall JSS and likely resulted in me losing top-rated status initially. Can someone please confirm?

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Should you refund?

Short answer is: No.

If a client hires you to do some work, and you do the work, then the client should pay you for that work.

This client is acting inappropriately.

lysis10
Community Member

Tom K wrote:

Brief summary:

- Client hired me for a flat-rate job, I budgeted 2-4 hours

- After spending 6 hours troubleshooting, I provided client with my recommendation on how to resolve

- The client does not agree with my assessment and claims work is incomplete, then filed a dispute

- I reached out to the client and offered to accept a 50% payment, but the client declined

So, my question is -- will filing a dispute delay my return to "top rated" status in 4 more weeks? As much as I feel I should be paid for the work I've done, I also know how many more job invitations I typically get as top rated. I believe I lost top-rated status to another dispute 8 weeks ago even though I ultimately prevailed and was paid (although it could have been the negative "review / job not completed" left by the client which pushed me under 90%). I'm not completely certain and unwilling to take a chance. 

Has anyone been through this before? I want to be paid, but I'll eat the $200 if it means disputing will delay top-rated by another 12-16 weeks.

Advice appreciated. 

BTW -- I've read this article (https://community.upwork.com/t5/Content-Corner/Facts-about-Disputes/td-p/258942) and others, and it sounds like disputes themselves do not impact top-rated status. Rather, the review/score left by the client who filed the dispute is impacting overall JSS and likely resulted in me losing top-rated status initially. Can someone please confirm?

Top rated is based on JSS, so the feedback from the client is what matters. Chances are that the feedback was not good, so at this point you should just go for the money because the damage to your JSS is already done.

This client really made a big mistake by not accepting your very generous offer of a 50% refund.

Now he will probably get nothing.

The client has lost all leverage now.

Tom, it looks like this was an hourly contract. (As the client filed a dispute... In fixed rate contracts the freelancer is generally the one to file a dispute following a request for the return of the Escrow funds.)

Your account of what happened is confusing because you talk about a "flat rate" contract, but then go on to talk about budgeted hours and hours spent and that the client was the one to file a dispute.

If that is the case, (the contract was hourly) it does not matter one iota whether the work was complete or incomplete, competent or incompetent, good or bad.

All that matters is your work diary.

• Were the hours logged with the tracker? (NOT manual time?)
  • Were there adequate work memos, clearly describing what you were working on?
  • Are adequate activity levels visible in the work diary?
  • Do all screenshots show you working actively on the client's project?

If all (!) the above apply, then you will win the dispute

If any one does not apply, you will lose the dispute.

It's as simple as that.

Did I understand it correctly that you told the client it would take 2 to 4 hours, and then charged him 6? If that is the case and you did not discuss it with the client, that might explain some of the client's indignation...

Preston wrote:

The client has lost all leverage now.

Preston, the client has lost no leverage at all. The client's leverage or lack of leverage is exacly the same as it was before the client rejected the offer to refund half the money. 

Now he will probably get nothing.

Based on... what, exactly? 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths