🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should I reply to bad review?
Page options
03aeb2b3
Community Member

Should I reply to bad review?

I know the answer is usually no but..

I believe a client left a 1.5 star review because of the ongoing scam, getting work for free. She wants a refund on the copy I provided to her so my feedback would be removed. She told me she would respect that I have a slight delay during the holidays but I still gave her copy within the week. She asked to get on a conference call the next day but I told her I'm sorry but I have an article due and can speak with her the same evening. She got upset and said that there's too many delays, ended the contract and left a bad review. I asked her if I could make it right but no reply and she blocked me. Very odd and unfair especially for a recruiter that she is. 

My question, should I reply to her review on my Public profile? If I do, will she see it?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Personally, I would change the words, especially "scam" for a variety of reasons. I would include something about the review/refund.

This is just an example, you must write your own! (That goes for you plagiarists, too!)

Despite my professional demeanor and adherence to the Terms of Service, the client did not do the same.  I do not recommend this client to other freelancers.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
the-right-writer
Community Member

The public feedback is just that. It means anyone can look at your profile and see the comments. If you are top-rated and qualify, you can remove the feedback. Otherwise, you are stuck with it.

You can leave private and public feedback for the client as well.

Always take the high road when responding, but be truthful. The client may be an evil, monstrous, disgusting person, but you don't want to say that because you want to look like the more reasonable and transparent one. It's crucial to leave an honest review, in the most polite terms you can muster. Other freelancers need to know this is a bad client.

I recommend you practice writing your review. First, write it and get out all your anger. No one will see it but you. Then write it again. After you have written several versions, you will see where it should be going. Polite, no cursing or nasty comments, but honest.

Remember, anything you put online stays there for people and perspective clients to see forever.

03aeb2b3
Community Member

Thanks for your reply. Then I guess I shouldn't write:

Unfortunately, this appears to be part of an unethical scam involving the posting of a low review in order to receive a refund for work received so that the review is removed.

Personally, I would change the words, especially "scam" for a variety of reasons. I would include something about the review/refund.

This is just an example, you must write your own! (That goes for you plagiarists, too!)

Despite my professional demeanor and adherence to the Terms of Service, the client did not do the same.  I do not recommend this client to other freelancers.

Did you report this to Upwork?

I did report it but I haven't heard back yet. I don't have her requesting the refund in writing but over the phone, she insinuated it. 

That doesn't count.

Words matter. "Insinuating" is not threatening. And if it was the over the phone, you have no documentation. Since you have a ticket open with support, you need to follow what they tell you. Only Upwork can tell you how this will end.

Yes words matter, I'm grateful that you took the time to provide your insight. Your response is much appreciated and valued!

Sheela,

The client can only remove the public feedback, which has little effect on your JSS calculation.

Her private feedback, which will have been at least as negative as her public feedback, cannot be changed and has a much more significant effect on the calculations of your JSS.

So, if you did the work as agreed, don't refund a dime. Write a factual rebuttal to her public feedback, sit on it for a day or three, re-write it, have someone whose opinion you respect review it, re-write it again and post it. Then give it no more thought, unless a potential client asks you about it.

If Upwork isn't going to tell us bad clients' history of their bad behavior, the only protection we freelancers have is honest feedback from other freelancers. It's too bad that chasing the perfect JSS means so many freelancers put up with so much from so many dishonest/lazy/clueless clients.

Good luck!

bobafett999
Community Member

If they told you in writing you can report to upwork and I am not sure, but they may help you with the feedback. 

I thought she had been through that in another thread. My error.

kaliamanda
Community Member

There may be a variety of reasons why a client has (or perceives to have) a bad experience. It isn't always under your control. That said, it still stings to receive a low rating, especially when you've delivered as promised. It's never worth trying to get into a battle of words with a client. You may be honest but always err on the side of cautiously professional because prospective clients will read not only the feedback you receive but also the feedback you give. If this client did indeed try to extort free work in exchange for positive feedback and communicated this in writing to you, report them because this will save everyone on the platform having to deal with them and they should be booted. I'm sorry you experienced this, but also remember that *one* client cannot sink you if the overwhelming number of your professional interactions lean towards the positive. 

bobafett999
Community Member

Here is what I would do.  If she uses your work on her website or blog, you can send the web host a form (dmca takedown notice) which basically says the owner of the website is violating using your copyright material without paying. I know few cases where the host has taken down the website.

Great idea. I was going to consult her website to see if she will use it. Thanks!

Wait, did she actually pay or did she request an official refund when she closed the contract? As long as she paid for the work, it belongs to her.

Her invoice has been paid but I was thinking of doing this if I refunded her.

If she paid you, then she owns the work and can do whatever she wants with it.

If she gave you poor feedback or false feedback, that doesn't negate the fact that she owns the work.

bobafett999
Community Member

So Sheela forget dmca suggestion.  I was not aware that she paid you

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths