Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I start an "agency"?

olena-e
Olena E Member Since: Mar 14, 2017
1 of 2

Hi all,

Hoping for your smart tips and ideas!

I am a copywriter here on Upwork. I have a client who wants me to create a brochure for him (writing + design). He basically wants to just communicate with me and to have me deliver the final product (the brochure) to him. He is a good client, I don't want to lose him, and I do have experience coordinating designers (outside Upwork).

My question is: how to arrange this on Upwork?

I've read about creating agencies, and it seems like the way to go, but I have several concerns:

1. If I create an agency, I can't just post a job for a designer and go through applicants - I need to invite a specific designer to become "part of my agency" instead. But I need to find that designer first!

2. Once the job is complete, I guess the feedback will show up on the agency profile, and not on my freelancer profile? I don't expect that I'll be doing "agency" work a lot, so I'd really rather have all the feedback on my freelancer profile.

3. Going through the whole process of creating an "agency" (and I'm not sure what exactly it involves) seems like overkill for just one job? Again, I don't expect to have this type of assignments often.

I know I could just hire a designer as a client and pay him, but then how does my client reimburse me? Expenses? The requirements are too vague to commit to a fixed price...

Any thoughts or war stories on this are greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Olena

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 2

Hi Olena,

1. If I create an agency, I can't just post a job for a designer and go through applicants - I need to invite a specific designer to become "part of my agency" instead. But I need to find that designer first!

That is correct, you need to find freelancers directly and invite them to join your Agency. 

2. Once the job is complete, I guess the feedback will show up on the agency profile, and not on my freelancer profile? I don't expect that I'll be doing "agency" work a lot, so I'd really rather have all the feedback on my freelancer profile.

Please note that you as an agency owner will have your Agency's Job Success Score displayed on your Freelancer profile.

3. Going through the whole process of creating an "agency" (and I'm not sure what exactly it involves) seems like overkill for just one job? Again, I don't expect to have this type of assignments often.

I know I could just hire a designer as a client and pay him, but then how does my client reimburse me? Expenses? The requirements are too vague to commit to a fixed price...

If you have a Fixed-price contract with this client, you can set up a Client profile, add a billing method, hire a freelancer and pay them for their work. The funds your client releases to you are processes separately to the payment you need to release to your freelancer.  

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS