🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Should be a Project Fee Reduction from th...
Page options
customsilence
Community Member

Should be a Project Fee Reduction from the 20% to maybe 10% for High Earning/Long Term Freelancers

I feel like the High Earning/Long Term Freelancers should get an overall fee reduction instead of continuing to pay the 20% for new clients.  I feel like this would be a great reward after maybe you make $10,000 on Upwork all your project fees start at 10% or something.  Reward us for doing such good work or for being long term quality freelancers!

3 REPLIES 3
purplepony
Community Member

Ronald, from a FL standpoint it sounds like a nice idea.  However, I've continued to read information stating that UW is not profitable.

If that's the case, your suggestion will never happen; or at least in the foreseeable future.  One of the rewards we receive here is that:

"As a freelancer, you’re charged a sliding fee based on your lifetime billings with each non-Enterprise client. This includes all contracts you’ve ever had with that client. Service fees are the same whether the contracts are hourly or fixed-price.

• $0-$500: 20%
  • $500.01-$10,000: 10%
  • $10,000 or more: 5%"

Of course another reward that we receive is the opportunity to actually gain projects via the platform.  Many do not.

Thank you for your comment.

I do not disagree that it may never happen unfortunately but I dont believe for one minute that UW is not profitable.  

petra_r
Community Member

Ronald S wrote:

I feel like the High Earning/Long Term Freelancers should get an overall fee reduction instead of continuing to pay the 20% for new clients.  I feel like this would be a great reward after maybe you make $10,000 on Upwork all your project fees start at 10% or something.  Reward us for doing such good work or for being long term quality freelancers!

In the overall scheme of things, $ 10k overall is (sorry) chickenfeed. I see where you are coming from, but the most "risky" and on average most "expensive" contracts for the platform are those where a client and a freelancer work together for the first time.

The longer a client and freelancer work together, the happier they tend to be and the lower the chance of disputes, hassle, need for customer service involvement, non payment, chargebacks and so on.

So the lowering to first 10% and then 5% per client relationship reflects the fact that once a client has spent that amount on a freelancer, things have a lower chance of going wrong and if they do, Upwork has already earned enough on the relationship to offset the cost for any need to get involved.

I actively changed my business model to concentrate on fewer, more long term client relationships, taking on small, short ones only if I really fancy something or there is a lull.

Instead of hitting my head against a brick wall trying to change the way things are done, I adapt how I do things to the way things are.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths