🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should have seen this scam coming... : (
Page options
w62n
Community Member

Should have seen this scam coming... : (

it started like this...

**edited for Community Guidelines**

yeah, maybe there was a small, red flag there in retrospect. but i have several clients who prefer to contact directly once an upwork contract is started, so i didn't really suspect anything...

the story continues...

(his first reply. and i start to see signs of phishyness)

odd spaces, unusual contraction choice, at least two singular / plural mistakes...

and we go on...

RED FLAG CONFIRMED! - if this person were a legit, US-based client, the phrase would have been something like "would it be possible for me to pay you directly?"

at this point i know he's a scammer. but he already has my email address. so i tell him that would violate the TOA, and i wasn't interested in doing that (and he never replied again)

BE SMARTER THAN ME. While i know that this person was after payment information, so in that way i feel successful. i still fell for the initial scheme AND he has my email address. : (

if someone asks you to contact them directly, share a few messages on upwork first and find out why they'd prefer going that way BEFORE you send them an email message from your primary personal address.

5 REPLIES 5
lysis10
Community Member

A lot of people have your email. You're on some list somewhere, so it's no big deal.

danieldobson
Community Member

Theres not that much of a story here. Just remind him that you work under Upworks TOC's and ask him to create a contract there.

w62n
Community Member

not sure why anything needed editing????
but without the original content, my post makes absolutely no sense.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Wayne G wrote:

not sure why anything needed editing????
but without the original content, my post makes absolutely no sense.

Actually, I saw it after the editing, and I still get the premise. 🙂 These things are more simple than you think. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Wayne, 

I'm sorry I had to edit your posts and forgot to reply here with more information. Please know that chat transcripts, emails, and the like are not allowed in the Community. We have Community Guidelines in place and we would request that users be mindful of the guidelines when posting in the Community. 

I would also highly recommend that you read up the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members