cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should the power for clients to ruin a portfolio be nerfed?

Ace Contributor
Nathan A Member Since: Dec 29, 2020
11 of 46

Part 1: For the most part, I do, and I usually bite my tongue (usually I don't even have to). But in this instance I think my frustrations reached a tipping point because of the level of unprofessionalism and ongoing frustrations. I mean, I did get myself into the situation, taking on a client I knew would be literally the worst client ever, so lesson learned there too. 

Part 2: I saved her presentation because I came through in the end, on time, so that's probably why I got the 'B' rating and not an C or D rating, even tho the milstones before that I was an A+++ in her eyes and wanted to keep me all to herself, full time. Great way to show her appreciation.

Part 3: Maybe I'm just a personable guy. I talk to people like real people. I don't say "hey dude" or "hey girl", I keep it professional, but I can't help being the friendly neighbourhood designer that people feel comfortable enough to say we had our "first fight", or what kind of day their having. I would hardly say that's even a bad thing, or a childish dynamic.

Thanks for your reply tho, I know I have lots of learning to do.

Community Guru
Gina H Member Since: Aug 10, 2020
12 of 46

Nathan A wrote:

Part 1: For the most part, I do, and I usually bite my tongue (usually I don't even have to). But in this instance I think my frustrations reached a tipping point because of the level of unprofessionalism and ongoing frustrations. I mean, I did get myself into the situation, taking on a client I knew would be literally the worst client ever, so lesson learned there too. 

Thanks for your reply tho, I know I have lots of learning to do.

You might be the first person here ever to accept constructive criticism instead of doubling down on your mistakes lol, I can respect that.

I definitely understand being personable, but you should also set a bit more boundaries somewhere in between I think.

Overall you should be grateful she ended the contract and you escaped just for your sanity's sake, it was not worth it to continue with her.

Ace Contributor
13 of 46

You might be the first person here ever to accept constructive criticism instead of doubling down on your mistakes lol, I can respect that.

Overall you should be grateful she ended the contract and you escaped just for your sanity's sake, it was not worth it to continue with her.

Yeah live and learn. 

This was really meant to be a discussion about balancing the JSS system though, in particular when there's previous milestones or previous hires. Something heavily unbalanced there. 

Community Leader
Wilson E Member Since: Aug 7, 2015
14 of 46

Hey Nathan, chill out. Once I got a similar rating and I got frustrated as well, but then I learned it isn`t really that bad. 

You are doing great here, your work looks really nice. But if I were you, I wouldn't bother responding to a client's bad rating, or at least keep it short and professional. 

I am very picky when accepting a new client job and anyway one gets a bad client from time to time.

Move on and learn from this experience, you will get your rating back to normal. 

Ace Contributor
15 of 46

Thanks for your response Wilson. 

There can still be something done to protect the integrity of JSS

Ace Contributor
Jenny K Member Since: Jan 26, 2020
16 of 46

Nathan,

I sympathise with you, but hopefully it won't affect your time on Upwork too much as you also have some very glowing reviews.

I agree with the other posters that it is better to avoid working with difficult clients, although I also understand the temptation when you only have a few jobs under your belt on Upwork.

Finding a way to balance friendliness with boundaries is key, as from what you have written it seems like there was a bit of an unhealthy dynamic going on.

If a client is being outright uncooperative, or taking a bad day/week/life out on freelancers, I don"t believe that is something that any freelancer shold have to tolerate.

The freelancer is getting paid to do the hired work, not to manage the clients emotions. And rarely can you make a person like this happy anyway if there is something else in their life that is affecting them.

So it is better to pick up on the signs (where possible) and filter that client out, rather than look at them as a welcome challenge and take that risk.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 46

Nathan wrote:

... I told her she was going to be extremely difficult and picky and I welcomed the challenge...

You got exactly what you asked for. 

So you "welcomed the challenge" but don't want to deal with the almost inevitable consequences?

Ace Contributor
18 of 46

You might have missed the part where I said there were 7 successful milestones up until the final one. She might have been the most difficult client ever, but she was sure happy up until that point, wasn't she. That might say a lot more about me than your seemingly condescending remarks that don't even address the point I've made over and over.

I encourage you to try again though. 

(hint: JSS)

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 46

Nathan A wrote:

You might have missed the part...

No, I didn't miss that part. Nor did I miss your response to the other 4.3 star feedback you got just before this job. You urgently need to tweak your attitude or you will not succeed here.

Nathan A wrote:

... but she was sure happy up until that point,

She was happy until she wasn't. She shared some frustration, you decided to be rude and unprofessional.

She was no longer happy. Does that maybe tell you something?

Nathan A wrote:

(hint: JSS)

Hint: Your actions have consequences. You mismanage clients and contracts, your JSS will reflect that. Frankly your responses to feedback will serve as a warning to other clients and do more harm to your chances of being hired than the 2 x 4.3 stars. (To clients they may say "More hassle than he's worth")

Client hires someone 8 times, which shows that very client would recommend hiring that freelancer

The client didn't hire you 8 times. The client hired you once.

Nathan A wrote:

It's kind of like ordering 7 plates of food and loving them so much you order one more,

No. It's like eating an 8 course meal and the food is great, but then the restaurant owner comes out and starts being a **beep**. On the way out, I am asked if I'd eat there again...  I would not go back to that restaurant either, no matter how good the food may have been.

Ace Contributor
20 of 46

Your second attempt was much better thank you

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS