cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should the power for clients to ruin a portfolio be nerfed?

Ace Contributor
Nathan A Member Since: Dec 29, 2020
21 of 46

Petra R,

I like your edits, 3rd attempt is even better. 

Still missing the point, however. 

Let me fix this for you though:

It's like eating an 8 course meal and the food is great, but the client at the end complains about how the marinara sauce was 2 degrees off their desired temperature (unreasonable), and blaming you for the weather (unreasonable), so then the restaurant owner comes out and starts being an **beep** on the way out.  I am asked if I'd eat there again...  Most people would still say yes, but I would not go back to that restaurant either, no matter how good the food may have been.

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
22 of 46

Like it or not, I can't see any chance of Upwork making the kind of change to JSS that you're suggesting. 

A lot of of people when they join Upwork (including me) spend time thinking about how the JSS system could be improved.  Eventually we adapt to the system rather than hoping to change it.

One effect of the system is that it encourages experienced freelancers to choose their clients carefully and avoid difficult clients. That may make it harder for difficult-looking clients to get their job done well. Perhaps by natural selection that will reduce the proportion of difficult clients on the platform. 😉

The JSS system also favours established freelancers over newcomers.  So it's best to play safe until you're established. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
23 of 46

Richard W wrote:

Perhaps by natural selection that will reduce the proportion of difficult clients on the platform. 😉

The JSS system also favours established freelancers over newcomers.  

It also favours freelancers with good soft skills, who avoid beeping their clients off needlessly. That also contributes to natural selection... 

Ace Contributor
24 of 46

It also favours freelancers with good soft skills, who avoid beeping their clients off needlessly. That also contributes to natural selection... 

I can appreciate your committment to being toxic and trying to throw jabs. But I'll see you at the top soon enough Smiley Wink

Ace Contributor
25 of 46

One effect of the system is that it encourages experienced freelancers to choose their clients carefully and avoid difficult clients. 

The JSS system also favours established freelancers over newcomers. 

Sure, but new comers don't have the same luxury to choose their clients wisely. New comers also have a harder time landing jobs because they have few or no feedback. All the more reason to have a more balanced JSS system.

Like it or not, I can't see any chance of Upwork making the kind of change to JSS that you're suggesting. 

For what reason do you say this? Would there be any drawbacks to the JSS improvement I suggested?

Just to be clear my suggestions are for projects where you have completed multiple milestones or multiple billing weeks before the contract is closed out. 

Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
26 of 46

Nathan A wrote:

For what reason do you say this? Would there be any drawbacks to the JSS improvement I suggested?

Perhaps the main drawback would be that it's not an improvement at all...

Ace Contributor
27 of 46

Perhaps the main drawback would be that it's not an improvement at all...

Having a more balanced and accurate JSS system for freelancers would not be an improvement at all? Interesting. I will have to humbly disagree Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Gina H Member Since: Aug 10, 2020
28 of 46

Nathan A wrote:

Having a more balanced and accurate JSS system for freelancers would not be an improvement at all? Interesting. I will have to humbly disagree Smiley Happy

I mean, the other thing to consider is that none of us actually KNOWS how JSS truly works, Upwork keeps that algorithm to themselves so that people can't manipulate it.

At the end of the day, Upwork's algorithm which takes into consideration the final value of the contract (for example, $5 vs. $5,000) to weight it, is highly beneficial as compared to say, Yelp, where if someone orders a $10 meal they can leave 1 star and murder their score.

It already is much more fair than it would be if it was simply a regular rating scale.

Ace Contributor
29 of 46

I mean sure, you're not wrong. I'm not saying everything about their system is flawed. 

Nothing wrong with improving it further, though. 

Community Guru
Gina H Member Since: Aug 10, 2020
30 of 46

Nathan A wrote:

Nothing wrong with improving it further, though. 

I am not just talking about you, but everyone who complains about JSS, connects, minimum budget requirements, etc. is looking to improve the system in a way in which benefits them without considering the potentially negative effect it could have on others.

I am far from being Upwork's biggest fan, despite the fact that I do very well on here, yet at the same time through observing the Community for quite some time I have realized that 90% of the time it is just better to go with the flow and work on the one thing which I CAN control: my rates, the quality of my work, the way in which I market myself, and my reactions to bad situations.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS