cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we withdraw our proposals after some amount of time?

federicosan
Federico S Member Since: Feb 3, 2020
11 of 19

How is this strategy working out for you so far?

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
12 of 19

I don't see any benefit to removing a proposal. You don't get your connects back, so there's not much point. It may be that you've become really busy or you might feel they're not serious as they're taking so long, but you can always decline at the time if they do award the job to you... or they may be serious but might have been in hospital... or you were really busy but you're not any more etc etc.

It's hard to say if you will want the job at the time it's awarded, if it ever is awarded, and if it is awarded to you.... so I'd say keep it in.  

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
13 of 19

Well, eventually, the proposals get withdrawn for you, and so do invitations that have not been followed up by the client.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
14 of 19

Here is my two cents on withdrawl. I believe if a client can't respond within a reasonable amount of time, whether it be to decline my purposal or show interest it is not worth my time. If a client is that slow to answer then how are they going to be working with them? This is my questions to myself. Do I want to work with someone that takes weeks, or tells you when they get around to checking proposals two weeks later they got busy? Not particularily... So if I hear nothing back and I see nothing going on in the interviewing at the end of the week, I remove my proposal.

It has never stopped someone from contacting me afterwards again. I just have found out that they are generally to busy and most likely not going to be someone I want to work for. I think everyone has to decide for themselves why they want to leave it or remove it.

I do not see it as trying to make myself look like I am in demand. It is more respect for my time. If someone cannot respect my time I do not want to work with them.

Now if it were a job I really really wanted to consider I might just leave the proposal to see what happens, but generally after a week or so if they have not responded in some way I get rid of the job and move on.

stencil_media
Community Guru
15 of 19

They way I see it when it comes to the whole "if they can't even be bothered to award their project in a timely fashion" vibe... if you want to withdraw your proposal then withdraw it when it's awarded to you, not before. 

You'll save time. If the project is never awarded to you or anyone else, then the outcome is the same if you withdraw your proposal or if you don't.

There's no negative effect to you or your stats if you decline the project at the point of award. I mean what if they send one of the following messages at the point of award (unlikely, but not outside the realms of possibility):

1) Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I have been in a coma for two months. I would like to hire you at 25% more than your stated rate to compensate you for the inconvenience. 

2) Sorry I have not yet awarded the project, I was in an Ebola isolation compound and did not have access to the internet. I would like to pay you 50% more than you requested as a result.

3) I'm very sorry for not contacting you in the past two years. I only had a budget of $100 for the work and your budget of $1000 was to much for me. Rather than make empty excuses, I threw myself into my work and have been saving every penny so I could afford you. I have allowed for a 100% increase in your rate to cover inflation, natural increases in rates and for the delay.

Yeah, they're all unlikely. Greece winning Euro 2004 was very unlikely, but it would have been unwise to rip up your betting slip until the final had been played!

So if you get an award notice that doesn't contain what you feel to be a valid reason for the delay, just decline it there and then. 

droleary
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
16 of 19

@Scott E wrote:

You'll save time. If the project is never awarded to you or anyone else, then the outcome is the same if you withdraw your proposal or if you don't.

It's not about simply saving time, and the outcome is not the same.  When I withdraw a proposal, I can add in extra info that allows me to track it differently compared to the mass of "jobs" that just expire due to inaction.  I get that you don't run your business that way.  Great for you.  I am not you; this may be true of others here as well.

Yeah, they're all unlikely. 

I expect no less from you.  You have repeatedly been the master of the straw man argument.  Let me know when you've dreamt up the scenarios for what can happen when a proposal is withdrawn, because I'd like to match them against what actually has happened to me (ending in the best job I've had on Upwork).

stencil_media
Community Guru
17 of 19

"ending in the best job I've had on Upwork"

Great for you. I am not you. Thank the maker. However, I'd rather  guilty of advising people to do something based on situations that could happen to anyone (no matter how unlikely), than be guilty of advising people to do something based purely on my experiences.   

spiderbyte87
Community Leader
Aaron H Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
18 of 19

Here's the proper course of action: DON'T WITHDRAW. When you get job offer from someone who took three months to make a decision, decline the offer.

Case closed.

miles2831
Ace Contributor
Mary Aisles M Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
19 of 19

I also withdraw my proposals after a month. I leave messages to the client saying that the job posting was fulfilled, done, or inactive and they can contact me if the position opens again I am available for the project. 

My question is when leaving a message upon withdrawal, does it go the "Messages"  of the client. Does the client see this message when I withdraw my proposal?

Thank you in advance.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS