🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Should weekly limit = hours agreed?
Page options
grainnemccarthy
Community Member

Should weekly limit = hours agreed?

Hi,

I'm just about to accept a contract. The weekly hours I discussed with the client are 10-12. The 'weekly limit' on the contract says 15 hours. Does this mean I am expected to work 15hrs weekly or is ot more if I accidentally do overtime? Is it something I should flag with client?

New to Upwork so a little unsure. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Graine:

The client set the weekly maximum number of hours to 15 because he wants to provide some extra room in the schedule for you to work more if necessary.

This does NOT mean that you SHOULD work 15 hours per week.

But it means that you MAY work 15 hours per week, and you do not need to check in with the client in order to do so.

The client understands that estimates of hours are not always 100% accurate, and that sometimes things take longer than we expect them to. Moreover, the client is more interested in getting the project done - and done right - than he is interested in hitting a very specific target in terms of budget or hours worked.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Graine:

The client set the weekly maximum number of hours to 15 because he wants to provide some extra room in the schedule for you to work more if necessary.

This does NOT mean that you SHOULD work 15 hours per week.

But it means that you MAY work 15 hours per week, and you do not need to check in with the client in order to do so.

The client understands that estimates of hours are not always 100% accurate, and that sometimes things take longer than we expect them to. Moreover, the client is more interested in getting the project done - and done right - than he is interested in hitting a very specific target in terms of budget or hours worked.

This is great, thank you for the speedy response!

Preston H wrote:

I disagree with this advice. Your client may have added a bit of extra time in case he decides to ask for revisions or extras, but I still think that it would be advisable to double-check with him before you exceed your own estimate. I would personally never go past my estimate without giving the client an explanation as to why it's taking longer than I thought it would.

Christine A wrote:

Preston H wrote:

I disagree with this advice

So do I. 

15 hours is one of the pre-sets. If 10 to 12 hours was specifically agreed, of course, the freelancer needs to discuss it with the client before charging a whopping 50% over the lower end of the range.  That client has proven to be sensitive to the potential number of hours charged, or he wouldn't have changed it from the default (which is 40) to 15, which is the nearest pre-set above the 12 hours agreed as a maximum.

weekly limit.jpg

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members