🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Shouldn't my jss score be higher?
Page options
maura-rose
Community Member

Shouldn't my jss score be higher?

I thought my jss score would be revised higher today, but sadly it only went up by 2% although I completed more than 10 contracts within the last 2 weeks.
78% of clients would recommend me, and i canceled a contract when I first started a month ago (rookie mistake), 23 completed jobs with mostly 5-star public feedback.

I think my JSS score should be higher or am I missing something?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Maura-Rose P wrote:

I really appreciate your reply. what you are saying is I might have to wait almost 7 months to be top rated, just because of a newbie error! 

Yep. I often wonder if I'd be top rated as a noob if I had to start from scratch. Probably not. lol

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
lysis10
Community Member

IME, you'll have to wait for the $0 contract to fall out of your 6 months. Anything bad enough to drop it significantly will suppress your score until it falls out of the 6 month window.

I really appreciate your reply. what you are saying is I might have to wait almost 7 months to be top rated, just because of a newbie error! 

Maura-Rose P wrote:

Yep. I often wonder if I'd be top rated as a noob if I had to start from scratch. Probably not. lol

Do you think my top rated weeks will remain at 0? Considering I already met the other requirements except the 90% jss score.

petra_r
Community Member

Maura-Rose P wrote:.

78% of clients would recommend me, and i canceled a contract when I first started a month ago (rookie mistake), 23 completed jobs with mostly 5-star public feedback.

I think my JSS score should be higher or am I missing something?

78% recomendation rate is very poor. It means several clients gave you poor privatze feedback, and that is what you need to tackle.

The "nothing paid" contract counts as an unsuccessful contract too, but does not count into private feedback, so you need to work out why you've been getting poor private feedback and tackle that.

Whatever it is that is causing the poor private feedback, unless you can eliminate that, you'll just keep adding more poor outcomes.

As for "top rated" - how many "top rated eligible weeks" do you have at the moment? You need to have a JSS at over 90% for a minimum of 13 out of the last 16 weeks to be eligible for that.

Maura-Rose P wrote:

Do you think my top rated weeks will remain at 0? Considering I already met the other requirements except the 90% jss score.

The 90%+ is the single most important requirement. Weeks below 90% are never eligible, so you need to get above 90+ and stay there for 13 weeks.

I don't know how Upwork calculates this private feedback. You can take a look at my public feedback and what the clients say about me and my work. If you ask me, there is no reason why public and private feedback should contradict one another.

Maura-Rose P wrote:

I don't know how Upwork calculates this private feedback. You can take a look at my public feedback and what the clients say about me and my work. If you ask me, there is no reason why public and private feedback should contradict one another.

IPublic feedback is eye-candy is largely meaningless.  Most clients (just about) give msinlx 5 star feedback because they don't want to deal with freelancers freaking out and complaining and asking for the feedback to be changed and wailing and threatening and begging and so on. So many clients, for the sake of peace, just give 5 stars unless something was an absolute disaster.

JSS is mainly calculated on private feedback.

Usually, if you are a little sensitive to a client's communication, you can guess if things maybe haven't gone quite perfectly.

For example, a client ending your ongoing long term contract without a word overnight is an indication that maybe they were not 100% happy if they didn't even communicate that they were going to do that? So my guess is that's one that didn't come with great private feedback. Now you just need to identify the other 4 and work out what went wrong and how you can do better if a similar sitation comes up again.

The contract you are talking about is of a client who hired someone cheaper than they were paying me. It is a no brainer that they would cancel, I knew they were looking for a 3rd person unknown to me I was just occupying a temporary position. There is always someone who would do whatever you are doing cheaper. Maybe Upwork should get rid of the public feedback system if they don't value it. It is simple as that.

Maura-Rose P wrote:

The contract you are talking about is of a client who hired someone cheaper than they were paying me.

You want to get away from the cheap clients asap. If they are mean with money they are mean with feedback. And that's only one example. You had more clients leave not-great private feedback, so something needs work.

Maura-Rose P wrote:

Maybe Upwork should get rid of the public feedback system if they don't value it. It is simple as that.

It's a useful advertising point so I doubt that's going to happen.

re: "If you ask me, there is no reason why public and private feedback should contradict one another."

Try hiring a number of freelancers. Especially from certain countries. Then you will understand the reason.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members