cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shouty clients 2: Abuse option needed.

Highlighted
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 15
When does posting jobs become trolling? Today I've spotted the 'Humble book editor' telling prospective candidates it's his way or nothing again, yesterday I saw an advert that openly listed the countries he wasn't prepared to work with. Increasingly, many job descriptions are predominantly composed of the employer ranting about how much they hate candidates, eg. 'IF YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO FOLLOW SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS' or 'I've got better things to do with my time [I doubt it] than to spend all day reading your badly-written' applications. In the last few days it's become common to see posts composed of 90%, generally captitalised, often illiterate, abuse, and 10% job description at the end. They know they're getting a bargain in exchange for the shameful rates they'll pay; so why bother with the abuse? Moreover, many never bother to add a payment option, illogically making them scammers who STILL offer low pay and a terrible working environment! In addition to this, many 'adult' employers are getting way too explicit in their adverts for an unrestricted website. My solution, add an abusive/offensive choice to the flagging options.
Andrei V Member Since: Apr 21, 2014
2 of 15
I'm with this client right now. The job was posted as 'Humble book cover designer'. Hard to work with, yelly, unresponsive most of the time. I want to drop the long overdue project but I'm afraid he'll give me a bad feedback and hurt my ratings.
3 of 15
I understand why you would apply for the job; the money is pretty good in comparison to most equivalent jobs, However, everything about him seemed to suggest he's a fantasist and a bully. Unless you wish to refund his money (this is why I never ask for anything upfront) you're stuck with him I'm afraid, just put up with him, and remember you can ruin him on odesk too- by the time he discovers your feedback, it'll be too late for him to do anything! :-)
4 of 15
Thank you Ramon, for the advice.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
5 of 15
If the client is truly abusive, you should report him. Edit: If the project is "long overdue", I would worry that he might blame you for any failure to meet deadlines, even if it's really entirely his fault. Hope everything is on record just in case.
6 of 15
You can always yell back. Taking abuse online is 100% optional.
7 of 15
And.... my contract with him is suspended! What the? I guess it is good riddance. =)
Community Guru
8 of 15
I guess someone yelled back.
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
9 of 15
That guy has posted 112 jobs but only hired 12. I actually had an interview with him for an editing job but I never heard from him after I told him his book would need a lot of work to get it into shape.
Community Guru
10 of 15
Is a humble female graphic designer a humble designer who is female or a humble designer who creates images of females?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS