cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shovel if the spoon doesn't work (for forum regulars)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
1 of 5

I'm not sure where to post this but have you guys noticed how quite a few people post here on the forums asking for help but never bother to read what helpful members posted on their threads?

This would sound like a rant but I keep seeing people whining about how they cannot find work because they are new (then posting it again somewhere else), or how they don't know how to pay a freelancer, or some other issue which is only an issue because they refuse to read about how the site works for some reason. Giving them a short, direct, and clear answer plus complete links to the full information they need often makes no difference - they simply keep asking the same thing again and again as if spoonfeeding is not direct enough. 

I suspect that part of the reason support is so slow is because people who don't even take the time to read keeps clogging the chat option and request support with tickets. The chat support agents do their best and keep telling them what to do but they do the same thing they do here at the forums by paying no attention whatsoever to what is being said or suggested to them. No wonder support has become so robotic. I would be too if the majority of the people I have to deal with have the comprehension skills of a rock and the motivation of a sloth in hibernation. 

Spoonfeeding can be okay from time to time (like if someone is sick or truly helpless) but if the spoon can never be big enough no matter what good meaning people do to help, then some people simply needs to be shoveled into the earth.

Those who are not active at the forum may not get what I'm saying here...it's why I added links to some samples.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 5

Dianne,

I do customer support all day long and my biggest gripe is people are to lazy to do a search or read the information available to them on the site. So they do waste a lot of time asking the same questions over and over again.

I started with one of my clients sending them the link to go read it. I get tired of sounding like a parrot all day. I truly love doing customer support, but I have my days when I can't believe how incredibly lazy people are. They want someone to do it for them rather then attempting to find something for themselves.

I have people call me about other companies products thinking I should fix it because the other company charges for support lol..

Perhaps you should start posting a link for them to go read it. (not that it will change that people don't read anymore or that they will go do it) but will save aggrevation.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
3 of 5

I think what Diane's trying to say is

RTFM     Smiley Frustrated

Community Guru
4 of 5

Stephen,

That made me laugh so hard! 

But we know their kind would most likely have no idea what that means or might ask what a manual is, and what is PDF, and what is meant by downloading haha.

Community Guru
5 of 5

Hi Suzanne!

I actually thought I'm a very patient person (if you can survive 1 year taking care of autistic children and 2 years working in clinical psychiatry, you have to be!) but some people in this forum really makes me wonder how they manage to not choke on air and still be alive.

Kidding aside, I know how it is to sound like a parrot, having worked with children with special needs and yes, it does take a lot of patience. I can't imagine how it must be for those like you working in customer service. I mean, the people you talk to are supposed to be sane and normal, with no mental incapacity or retardation...and yet, they act like a drugged goldfish haha. 

Like you I also love helping people, but I also want to see them help themselves. It is very frustrating to see all the wasted potential just because some of them don't have an ounce of common sense.

By the way, whenever I reply, I try to post links or tips based from personal experience. Like here and here. Most of the time, it's for naught and that's sad. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS