cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick and Tired of freelancers misrepresenting who they are...

jarekn
Jarek N Member Since: Feb 25, 2012
1 of 17
I've been using oDesk for quite a long time now, recently however I have been running into way too many people who lie about who they, where they are from and about their experience. I had number of English writers who turned out not to be English and who couldn't write even if their life depended on it. I think oDesk needs to verify nationality of every single freelancer to stop this madness!
jandreleroux
Jandre L Member Since: May 7, 2014
2 of 17
As a freelancer I do not like the fact that the employers are behind a veil of invisibility. Often there is 0 info available about you guys.
garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
3 of 17
Hi Jarek, We'll continue to explore ways for both clients and freelancers to have confidence and trust in the people they work with here. Should you come across any misrepresenting users, you can report these to us via the "Flag as inappropriate" link on the user's profile page.
ladyelexia
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
4 of 17
I've been using oDesk for quite a long time now, however I have been running into WAY too many people who lie about who they are, where they are from and about their job posting. I had number of clients who turned out not to be clients but other contractors re-selling jobs directly from oDesk pages. I think oDesk needs to verify nationality, authenticity and actual job status of every single client to stop this madness!
jdscheepers
Jacobus S Member Since: Jun 5, 2011
5 of 17
Even though I do understand your frustration, I think that it will be of little use to judge language skills using a crude tool such as nationality. One might just as well judge pianistic talent by hand size. Granted, people from countries such as Britain or the U.S. may indeed have better English skills than most, but who is to say? I'm South African, and I frequently have to proofread and edit my British and American colleagues' work. Perhaps you should just check if they have taken any English skills tests. If you really want to hire someone who has not taken the tests, ask them to do it before hiring them. Using nationality as a measuring tool may have you losing out on some very good contractors.
e1c9eec2
David M Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
6 of 17

The issue isn't whether nationality is a critereon for language skills - the issue for us is whether the applicant is being honest.

We don't want to hire someone on a lie. If the applicant says they are in Barrie, Ontario, Canada and they think that Barrie is a suburb of Montreal, I have a suspicion that they are not really in Canada at all. 

I already have the requirement that the applicant work in our local time zone equivalent regardless of where they are, so why lie about being somewhere else in the world? I will hire you if your skills are right, your cost is within our budget, and you can be available in our office hours, period.

I will maintain a very low tolerance of fraud on the part of freelancers. From now on, we're asking for an original picture of the view outside their window. It won't stop all fraud, but I'm hoping it will signal that we're serious about knowing where you are. If the picture has palm trees, bamboo, or very high high-rises, I can guess that you're not really in Barrie, Ontario.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
7 of 17

"I will maintain a very low tolerance of fraud on the part of freelancers. From now on, we're asking for an original picture of the view outside their window. It won't stop all fraud, but I'm hoping it will signal that we're serious about knowing where you are. If the picture has palm trees, bamboo, or very high high-rises, I can guess that you're not really in Barrie, Ontario."

And the point? Anyone could go find a picture on the Internet to send you. Even in the brick and mortar world there are those who will lie about something to get a job.

If you really want to know how someone's English is, spend time speaking with them and perhaps ask for a paid trial to get an ide of their skills.

Someone mentioned the Odesk test's but I am one who with a timed test does not do as well as I do with working at my own pace, so mine would not be a good indication of my English skills, but I tend to be a perfectionist when I am working on my own stuff.

e1c9eec2
David M Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
8 of 17

The point is (1) I don't want to work with freelancers who are dishonest, and (2) if a freelancer is actually 12 hours away from where I expect them to be, I am asking them to work graveyard shifts for me - if I don't know this, I am misinformed.

If oDesk verified location, I wouldn't need to mess with photographs. But I need something that can establish a basis of trust and mutual respect - something that is important when I add a member to my team.

And, as I stated, this has nothing to do with English language proficiency - I can evaluate that with a Skype voice call.

tasamil
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
9 of 17

"From now on, we're asking for an original picture of the view outside their window. If the picture has palm trees, bamboo, or very high high-rises, I can guess that you're not really in Barrie, Ontario."

LOL-good luck with that and with freelancers who actually let you treat them that way. I am sure you will get some real superstars as candidates.And some really interesting pictures!

You are on INTERNATIONAL job platform. If you have so many issues with freelancer's location, maybe you should just focus on hiring on a local job market instead of using,again,the international job platform.

Also for OP-oDesk connects you with freelancers- the final choice who you will hire is yours.If you've encountered the same problem repeatedly, maybe you should question your own evaluation skills instead of freelancer's location- location that does not , again, equate with capabilities and talent.

rolandofgilead
Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
10 of 17

From my point of view, it's not a matter of location. It's all about mutual trust: no matter if you're a client or a freelancer. If you lie about your location, experience or language skills, then how am I supposed to start a business relationship with you? 

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS