cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick and Tired of freelancers misrepresenting who they are...

tasamil
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
11 of 17

Well yes, but again-why should I trust the client?And why should I be made to pay for his bad experiences in the past?  It seems like a really awkward way to start a promising business relationship.

If you don't start with that basic premise of trust, with that positive expectation,what will be the outcome of this relationship? And you know, this applies both to a real life and freelancing equally. We all had bad experiences at some point of our lives, but new people that we meet , both personally or professionally, are not responsible for our disappointment  in the past. Making them prove that they are worth of our trust because WE haven't dealt with our own baggage is just unfair and any self-respecting person won't accept to be treated this way.

With every new situation you assume the risk-the risk that you will be disappointed, the risk that it won't turn out the way you expected, etc-that is called a life.You can do all the reference checks on freelancers  and have a really great communication on Skype and it may still turn out that the results are subpar-I really don't think it eliminates or lessens the risk in any way. And definitely, I don't see how this picture from freelancer's window would serve as a guarantee of freelancer's honesty; moreover, this requirement  coming from someone  who has a guitar  as his  profile photo.

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
12 of 17

Hi Mattia and others,

I think we're all saying similar things here. Trust is important for all parties here, clients, freelancers and oDesk. With trust, clients can hire confidently and freelancers can bid and begin work confidently. We know there's room for improvement here, on both sides of the coin and we'll continue to find ways to build that trust amongst all parties. Verifications (Identity, location, payment sources) are important. Look for more from us in these areas in the coming months.

e1c9eec2
David M Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
13 of 17

It appears you are misunderstanding me. I don't have any trouble hiring someone from another country - I have a problem with dishonesty. 

If someone is in Argentina and they tell me, we are starting off building a relationship of trust and respect. If they say they are in Belgium and they are really in China, they are starting our relationship on the wrong foot - what else might they lie to me about when it becomes convenient or necessary?

tasamil
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
14 of 17

jenmhutson
Ace Contributor
Jennifer H Member Since: Apr 30, 2012
15 of 17

If you couldn't conduct a thorough enough pre-screening interview through the oDesk messaging platform, or chat with a potential contractor for a few minutes over Skype to make an assessment on their English level, then you have bigger problems.

Also, if you're continuously running into this issue, then I'm imagining your pay rates aren't up to par. Top contractors do not lie about their location or risk their feedback in the way that you are reporting.

Consider raising your rates and conducting pre-screen interviews to make better assessments on contractors.

If this issue happens to you more than once, it is most definitely a problem on the client's end, as well.

brach
Marc B Member Since: Jun 28, 2011
16 of 17

I have to agree with the original poster, even though I am a contractor myself.

I have been on projects where the project was seriously threatened due to contractors lying about their abilities or where they were from.

Unfortunately, despite all the checks put in place (tests, etc.), anything you do exclusively online is open this kind of fraud. Even asking for copies of IDs will not keep people from just bluntly fotoshopping a copy of an original document.

By the way, the same goes for us contractors. I'll spare you the number of times I had to close a contract because it turned out that the job had a criminal purpose to it.

I guess it's just the nature of the online world. It's very easy for people to 'pretend'. You'll only discover that in practice. So maybe a trial period would be a good agreement. Agree upon a few days of work, to be reviewed, and if it works out it can be extended.

778a81af
Sam S Member Since: Jul 23, 2017
17 of 17

I would like to see a way to report freelancers who are clearly lying about the work they have performed. 

I have two such posers who provided links to websites saying they programmed them, the owners of the sites clearly responded to my inquiry that they had built thier sites themselves and never heard of or conntracted with the applicant.

Even when questioned about their role in those site both freelancers lied again and maintained that they built the entire site. 

How do I tag these posers?

Thanks.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS