🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Signing up - Why are the college graduation d...
Page options
diane_stevenson
Community Member

Signing up - Why are the college graduation dates required?

I know there have been other threads about this, but I don't agree with requiring the dates of graduation.  This is a recipe for age discrimination.   

I went ahead and put mine in, because it's required, but I wish they would remove this requirement.  There is no need for it. 

4 REPLIES 4
mtngigi
Community Member

@diane_stevenson wrote:

I know there have been other threads about this, but I don't agree with requiring the dates of graduation.  This is a recipe for age discrimination.   

I went ahead and put mine in, because it's required, but I wish they would remove this requirement.  There is no need for it. 

You'll find there are many freelancers (me included) who are lots older than you and do just fine here. Clients rarely, if ever, scroll down that far to look at education and long ago employment histories. What's more important it what is immediately available to them at the top of your overview. And note that as a US person, you'll want to choose "native/bilingual" for your language choice.

Thank you!

I am years and years older than almost everyone on UW.  I put my college years in and no one has ever mentioned anything about it.  If the clients read that far (which they don't), they just see that you have years of experience.  In my case, I've had several careers and I have clients hire me because of the combination of skills I've acquired in different arenas.

prestonhunter
Community Member

You can leave your college education information out.

Freelancers are not required to provide that information.

re: "This is a recipe for age discrimination."

I understand if you are worried that clients won't want to hire somebody due to their youth and inexperience.

But as a practical matter, I just don't think that's an issue on Upwork. I think Upwork clients hire based on the skills a freelancer has, and based on their Upwork work history.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members