cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Simple suggestion

Community Leader
Joshua M Member Since: Nov 8, 2014
1 of 4

Not sure if this has already been raised in the past, but is it possible to have the "No Feedback" jobs in the profile be hidden or be transffered in another tab under the job history? This is so that whenever clients look at a freelancers profile they only see "real feedback" or actual feedback that has conent.

I mean,  you don't see anybody on yelp or yp leaving blank reviews for a restaurant they just ate in, Why shouldnt this also be implemented? 

Throughout my career in freelancing and 7 jobs I've handled. Miracurlously, I have had only 1 client out of the 7 who was so difficult to get intouch with that even when the job was done, he never even bothered to end the contract. Due to that, whenever I check my profile, I always feel sad that out of all the projects and feedback, his job stands out because there is no feedback. Even a "good job" would have cut it.

If this suggestion isnt viable or has been previously rejected, can we atleast have the chance to respond to no feedback jobs so that other prospective clients don't view them negatively when viewing our profiles?

Thanks!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 4

Hi Joshua,

I understand your concern and appreciate your feedback. Contracts where at least $1 was paid are displayed on freelancers' public profiles even if no feedback was provided.

Even if there is no feedback, the information that is displayed, such as the title of the job, amount of hours worked and rate can still be helpful for potential clients who review your profile.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Joshua M Member Since: Nov 8, 2014
3 of 4

Hi Valeria,

Thank you for the response!  I'm quite aware that the title of a previous job is very informative for clients who are looking to check if a freelancer has done a similar job that they maybe also looking to have done. But a "no feedback job" is a double edge sword as it does not explain if the freelancer did good work or bad.

Although I'am but a freelancer and not a client so I'm not sure, but from my pov the "no feedback jobs" reflects more as a negative feedback then a helpful feedback as this can mean and mostly mean that the client was not really satisfied but just wanted to end the project and didnt want to feel guilty by leaving a bad feedback. If you check freelancer profiles from time to time, like what I do to get an overview of the competition, you'll notice that majority of "no feedback jobs" are associated with low JS score.

But like I said, I'm not a client so I would love to get feedback from a client on what they think whenever they see "no feedback jobs" on a freelancers profile. Smiley Happy

Thanks 

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 4

The cuddly response is to say that "no feedback" means just that and is harmless.

But the real (likely) story is that while the vast majority of "no feedback" instances are because of clients not closing and then being uncontactable, the whole experience reflects negatively on the freelancer; a) because there's a job that says no feedback, which makes people wonder, and b) probably, though noone at Upwork either admits or knows, but it's blindingly obvious according to some users who spend their time analyisng this, that "no feedback" has at least the potential, and in many instances the reality, of messing up the freelancer's job success score.

IMHO Valeria's response did nothing to answer this question - it just laid out what relatively good things could be squeezed out of the remaining information left over. (This freelancer did a job and got paid...Re the analogy to travel sites above, imagine "this person stayed here, and in a double room).

The overwhelming majority of instances of "no feedback" are because of lazy/indifferent/busy/arrogant/confused clients. The overwhelming proportion of harm done by "no feedback" is to freelancers who haven't been able to control their clients' behaviour. Please, please could we have a constructive answer to this problem, instead of a weak justification of what good can be eked out of it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS