🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Simply not listed under searched term.
Page options
kfboelter
Community Member

Simply not listed under searched term.

Hi everyone,

so, what's the actual deal with search terms and such? I once read that it's a rotation based system, but I do have to say that it does not look like that to me.

Taking my case specifically, I'm a Unity developer. If I, or anyone else I asked to give it a try searches for Unity in there, I don't ever, ever, ever show up not even on the 5 first pages... I have actually never seen someone getting to the page where my profile is AT ALL. Seems like I am simple not listed (my profile is not private). On the other hand, I do see a lot of the same faces ranking on the first page. It does not seem random at all.

I am not the first option even if I search for "Unity Klein", which does seem very very weird to me.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, or maybe that's just how it is.

I'd love to hear whatever anyone can point out, if I'm doing something wrong, or if simply I am not smart enough to understand what's happening.

Thank you all in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
hoyle_editing
Community Member

There is alot of freelancers, i think youd be lucky to find yourself at the top few pages when there is probably thousands....

Screenshot 2019-09-17 at 12.40.23.png

Yeah, I totally get that... the thing that puzzles me is that I always see the same faces ranking on the top. Try checking a guy named "Sigurd", for instance.

indeed, yeah he is number 3 for "unity developer"

I have no idea, Upwork presumably make some kind of judgment on who they think is most appropriate for a specified search term. Though i wouldnt expect them to admit that/confirm/that/deny that or explain how it works.

(and if they did im not sure id have total reassurance that it was true.)

I will reach out to support with this, I'm fairly certain, through my research and research from others, that there's a tendency that the same faces show up ranked on the top for a lot of people.

I don't think it's wrong, maybe they really are the best of the segmet. We just need to know the rules of the game, to try to be the best ourselves 🙂

Hi Klein,

Please keep in mind that freelancer and client profiles have different searches as well. I searched for "Unity Klein" and your profile was shown at the top on the first page. 
As you have mentioned I would like to confirm that, freelancers are shown in search results on a rotating basis so that everyone gets a fair chance to be discovered. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

Hi Klein,

Please keep in mind that freelancer and client profiles have different searches as well. I searched for "Unity Klein" and your profile was shown at the top on the first page. 
As you have mentioned I would like to confirm that, freelancers are shown in search results on a rotating basis so that everyone gets a fair chance to be discovered. Thank you.

But how does that relate to the fact that out of the presumably hundreds or even thousands of "UNITY DEVELOPER" freelancers one name that he suggested came up tops for me aswell??

If you put his name into the search then yeah, obviously it will come up high. But how many clients put what they are looking for followed by a random name?

Right on Jonathan, try listing the freelancers that appear top ranked under that term, then proceed to another computer in another IP address or something like that, and make the same search again, from an incognito window or something.

My findings tend to be pretty solid on the profiles that are on the first pages. And as you said, there are thousandos of devs under this specific term we are discussing (Unity). It's weird, at the very least.

Again, it's just about knowing the rules of the game, so we can all play it 🙂

re: "I will reach out to support with this"

Why?

What are they going to do?

Support has no control over how Upwork search works.

And they don't understand it better than the people in the Forum do.

Hi Jonathan,

The search results will depend on the keywords a client has used and the filters they have added to further filter the searches. 
Even if clients only use 1 keyword for example Unity, different freelancers will be shown on the first page once after some time. Hope that this clears the confusion, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

ok great, so if i try agin in a week or so the name that klien suggested will no longer be on first pge?

thanks gfor clearing that up.

Jonathan H wrote:

ok great, so if i try agin in a week or so the name that klien suggested will no longer be on first pge?

thanks gfor clearing that up.

I've never repeatedly checked search results, so I can't say anything about who will and won't show up when. But, based on invitation patterns, I seem to appear at or near the top for about two weeks at a time, about once every six weeks.

florydev
Community Member

Klein B wrote:

I am not the first option even if I search for "Unity Klein", which does seem very very weird to me.

You do for me.

Klein, not what you asked, but I really think you should consider raising your rates.  You have had great success on here and at the very least you should be at $30.00 so you are a the top of the $10 - $30 search category.  I think though with your success with Unity which is a fairly in-demand skill I think you should move to the low end of the $30-$60.00 category (so above $30.00).

I looked at your profile and I realize you do mostly fixed priced jobs but still think that should be your factored rate for those.  

I haven't done Unity, I don't live in Brazil, so maybe I don't know...but I would be surprised if you can't get just as much work at $32 as you are right now and you won't even need as much to the same amount of money.  Just a thought.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths