cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single page portfolio projects

Marcelo T Member Since: Feb 26, 2019
1 of 20

Hello!

I have noticed some freelancers are able to show the projects in their portfolio as a single scroll-down page showing multiple images (view screenshot1). However, when I upload a new project with multiple image files, each image appears in a different page (view screenshot2).

So here is the question: is there a way to show a project as a single-page that you can scroll down on, instead of it being made up of multiple pages? 

Thanks in advance.

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
BEST ANSWER
2 of 20

Hi Marcelo,

We changed the way portfolios show for all freelancers and introduced pagination. Now, instead of one longer page, users will be able to click through portfolio items. We also added a new "Copy project link" so freelancers can more easily share a link to a specific portfolio item.

~ Bojan
Untitled
3 of 20

Got it. Thanks Bojan

Ilya S Member Since: Mar 19, 2019
4 of 20

Hi Bojan,

This pagination option, in my opinion, doesn’t seem to work very well for the people who are viewing the portfolio. Let me explain what I mean:

1. Clicking is more ‘difficult’ when compared to scrolling. It is physically harder and requires more actions and more attention from the user: you have to locate a little number, to move the cursor over there precisely and to click on it. That is a lot of effort compared to scrolling. Even for some simple action, say,  you want to go back and see the previous image: you have to move the mouse again (to the previous number or to the ‘< Previous’), point it precisely and click to go back. Not to mention that seeing these page numbers the way it is implemented, never gives you an understanding of how many pictures are there to see (5? 7? 10? 15? 18?)

2. If the project is scrolled, not paginated, it gives you a possibility to get a quick overview of the project and grasp the narrative: you just scroll down through the whole story, quick and easy, being able to stop and focus wherever you want. Pagination breaks this kind of narrative because you click to the next image and do not remember what the previous was.

3. With pagination it takes time for images to load once you have already clicked on the number or on the ‘Next >’ link. There is a delay. Not all of the images that you have already clicked through are cached. So, If you decide to quickly go backward 5 images, you are forced to wait when some of them are loaded again. Imagine the client, who literally has only 5 second of time and 3 seconds of attention available. How many images will he be able to see and decide on something? Will he want to spend time clicking all over the place? Even if so, will he grasp what he is seeing?

Overall, this might give the viewer a sense of something difficult, uninviting. I mean, even I do not want to click through my own portfolio item as it takes a long time, compared to scrolling.

4. Portfolio pieces that were designed before you changed the view mode to pagination, were designed to be viewed by scrolling. I have spent a lot of time preparing those slides that I put into my portfolio and thinking about how another person will look at them. There is a logic and a narrative. It feels like Upwork just literally ignored this kind of effort and changed the way the portfolio is displayed to its own ‘liking’ or for whatever other reason. As a user, it feels like my work and effort is being spited on.

If I knew that my portfolio item will be viewed by clicking, not scrolling and that it would be that complicated, I’d rather make it in the different format or put fewer images into a portfolio item.

Now I am convinced that this pagination makes projects harder to view and to grasp, which is a huge concern for freelancers whose portfolios are being reviewed by potential clients. And now I will have to think of another workaround just because of your new implementation. I don’t think that is fair.

Having said that I would like to ask the Upwork team to reconsider the pagination option back to how it was implemented before.

Thank you.

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
5 of 20

Hi Ilya,

Thank you for your feedback, I will share this with our team. 

~ Bojan
Untitled
6 of 20

Thank you, Bojan.

A quick addition to those points above that I have mentioned already.

When viewing someone’s portfolio project, the interface has double navigation (please, see attached), which further confuses the viewer.

There are these big white arrows (Navigation 1) that navigate between projects. And then there are these pagination numbers (Navigation 2) that navigate within the project.

What happens every single time (well, at least this happens to me) when you open the portfolio project? I press the white arrow (Navigation 1) in order to see the next picture from this same project. And what happens in reality? I am brought to the next project in the portfolio and it immediately leads to confusion.

The big white arrow is close enough to the image, so I consider that this is the correct navigation if I want to see the next image. Moreover, the pagination at the bottom right, which you kind of note, without actually seeing/reading it, only seems to reassure you that there are some more images in this project. Instead of being perceived as separate navigation. So you press the white arrow.

I have tested it and thought that this was my error at first, but it isn’t. When you navigate to someone’s portfolio from their profile and open a project, you get this double navigation. However, when you open the link, generated by pressing ‘Copy project link’, then there is only pagination navigation (Navigation 2). I guess it is fine when someone sends you the link to the particular projects. However, it is a disaster when someone opens up your profile and want to see your projects.

7 of 20

Hi Bojan,

By any chance, do you have any feedback from the team so far? Is someone reviewing the pagination topic we’ve been discussing here? Will someone post any updates here? How is this handled?

Thanks.

8 of 20

Hey Ilya, 

You've said it all. I completely agree with your observations about the portfolio naviagtion. No doubt that scrolling is by far a better format both for freelancers displaying their work and for clients viewing the work. 

Double navigation is deifnitely confusing and painful as well.  

Hopefully they go back to the older format soon. 

- Marcelo

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 20

Marcelo T wrote:

Hey Ilya, 

You've said it all. I completely agree with your observations about the portfolio naviagtion. No doubt that scrolling is by far a better format both for freelancers displaying their work and for clients viewing the work. 

Double navigation is deifnitely confusing and painful as well.  

Hopefully they go back to the older format soon. 

- Marcelo

They won't "go back". Upwork likes to make (and keep) things complicated. I find it's easier to just keep a folder of samples on my hard drive that can then be attached to my bids. Easier for the clients, too.

10 of 20

Virginia F wrote:

They won't "go back". Upwork likes to make (and keep) things complicated. I find it's easier to just keep a folder of samples on my hard drive that can then be attached to my bids. Easier for the clients, too.

I am surprised that platform this big has an interface this bad. And it is about the whole platform, not just portfolio sections. That’s a shame that with all the resources that Upwork supposedly has they are not able to work on UX/UI which would be UP to standards. It looks like everything is MADE difficult on purpose. Or some people behind UX/UI are completely incompetent in what they are doing.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS