🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Site Enhancement Request - Additional thu...
Page options
andrews_jay
Community Member

Site Enhancement Request - Additional thumbs down option in job search results

Inspired by a client whom I keep on considering his good sounding ads until I realize it is him.  I traveled to meet the man in person and determined he is not at all worthy of my trust for multiple reasons, and has confirmed my suspicion by reading his reviews, where you can read between the lines that he takes advantage of freelancers.  I'm just glad I figured him out prior to any official agreements.

Long story short, I wish there was an option under the thumbs down for, "Never show me jobs from this client".

I'd just ignore his ads, but many times over my years of freelancing have I spent time reading his ads, yes he is very intelligent but unscrupulous, putting thought into the project, about to propose, when I realize who it is.  Just wish I could hide his jobs so I don't waste any time reading his ads before I realize it is him. 

Come to think of it I even sent a proposal to another of his jobs once a while back, then realized who he was and realized what a waste of time that was because no way would I ever do buisiness with him.

8 REPLIES 8
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Why specifically did you find this client to be untrustworthy?

If you really want your experience to be one tad useful to other freelancers, you would need to be specific on the specific behaviours of the client that led you to rule him not worthy of trust.

Tried to keep it simple and not to vent on that client as it would not be productive to the desired outcome due to focusing on the why not the what.

Basically my assessment is he is trolling for people who will put up with being abused long term for short money.  

My case was he invited me to his facility, I took time to go there.  He then baited and switched, kept insisting I work on something other than in the ad which was not my skillset.  I also spent a lot of time on a proposal for the original job description.

Just in general I could see and continue to see in his reviews when I look at his ads that this is how he treats people.  In fact this is how I realize it is him, new reviews, a few people working for almost nothing just begging for experience, then always at least one fresh one being polite but hinting about his same antics.

In any case, it's not about this client, it's just about an option to hide any given client from our search results. 

Maybe none of your potential cleints have been unscrupulous, but I have done lots of high quality jobs and would prefer to not even be reminded of my dealings with this, in my opinion only, abusive client.

Jay A wrote:

Basically my assessment is he is trolling for people who will put up with being abused long term for short money.  

oh so he's an entrepreneur. I see.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Jay A wrote:

Just wish I could hide his jobs so I don't waste any time reading his ads before I realize it is him. 

My one fear is this: Upwork may not create this feature because a lot of freelancers will shoot themselves in the foot if they do, hiding clients who will eventually post jobs they would later be interested in.

Also, there are clients who post jobs from more than one account; this might be one such client.

The above said, your suggestion is, hopefully, noted by the Upwork team.

I mention it here instead of just requesting in the help section, so that maybe a concensus can back my desire, rather than just one guy requesting in the support section.

It's not shooting themselves in the foot if they have good reason to understand why to never do business with someone already proven unscrupulous.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jay, 

Thank you for sharing your suggestion here, and I'm sorry to learn about your experience with this client. If you think this client violates any of the Upwork Terms of Service, you may flag any of their job post as inappropriate so that it goes to the team's queue for their review. 

In the meantime, I'll go ahead and share your suggestion with the team for their consideration.

~ Avery
Upwork
varungs
Community Member

Jay A wrote:

Long story short, I wish there was an option under the thumbs down for, "Never show me jobs from this client".

I'd be interested in this too. I proposed to a few jobs where we discussed pricing but the client and I weren't able to come to an agreement. The next week, I found a job that I was almost going to apply to until I saw that the reviews and country matches one of those previous clients. It would be nice to just remove a specific client entirely from my job feed so that I don't end up wasting connects in the long run.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths