Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Site is down again

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
21 of 97

This is the result of reduced market competition.

Ask yourself this: if Elance and oDesk were still separate and competing with each other, do you think either site would be charging 20% fees and going up and down more than a horse on a carousel?

We all know the answer.

I can assure you all of one thing that will not be going down at all this year: Upwork's profits.

ottavinidesign
Ace Contributor
Davide O Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
22 of 97

I scheduled a meeting with a client for today, and I wonder why she didn't show up yet...oh, right, **Edited for Community Guidelines** at it again.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
23 of 97

An ETA from the engineers would be appreciated.

I find it rather amazing that the forums continue to function ...

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
24 of 97

@Wendy C wrote:

I find it rather amazing that the forums continue to function ...

Forums are not managed nor hosted by Upwork. They are outsourced to a third party. This is why they are always on.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
25 of 97

@Charles K wrote:

....I can assure you all of one thing that will not be going down at all this year: Upwork's profits.

Charles,

Despite client revenues, Upwork is not profitable. It's on life support provided by venture capitalists, who dominate the board of directors. Apparently we and our clients get what they pay for, and not a penny more.

Best,

MM

p.s. I don't remember signing the Advance Directive specifying minimization of life support, as opposed to actually working to bring the patient back to health.

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
26 of 97

"Upwork is not profitable, despite client revenues. It's on life support provided by venture capitalists, who dominate the board of directors."

If that's the case (I have no information on this one way or the other) then maybe someone actually does deserve to get canned. Given the relative lack of viable competition in this large segment and the huge volume of projects, that takes some doing.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
27 of 97

Charles, you must have missed the CEO's admission of lack of profitability during the fee increase discussion. (The claim was that fees were not increased to raise the nonexistent profits, they were meant to stanch the loss hemorrhage in a particular segment of Upwork's market.)

As a point of comparison, Amazon has been unprofitable for most of its existence, and only fitfully profitable, quarter-by-quarter, in recent years.

Best,
Michael

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
28 of 97

DMM -- That was before my time and so yes I did miss it. Thanks for the context, it honestly does explain quite a bit and I appreciate it.

I knew about Amazon and there is indeed nothing wrong with emphasizing growth over profits .. as long as you can pull it off, of course.

This widget could not be displayed.
29 of 97
This widget could not be displayed.

If I were Upwork I would be 5 things:

- try to find a really, really powerful (in an economical sense) investor

- hire the best (and perhaps the most expensive) technical staff or outsource the whole technical infrastructure to a top class provider

- invest in the qualification of the customer service so that they provide 1st class support for clients and freelancers

- carefully select freelancers and clients (no fake, no low-ballers)

- close this community, it will we superfluous then

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
30 of 97

@Douglas Michael M wrote:
Despite client revenues, Upwork is not profitable. It's on life support provided by venture capitalists, who dominate the board of directors. Apparently we and our clients get what they pay for, and not a penny more.

Which is extremely worrying on the long run.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS