Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Site is down again

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
51 of 97

If I told my clients "I'll be right back" and then disappeared for hours without answering queries or providing estimates as to my return, I'd very soon have no clients to return to.

But hey, Upwork doesn't have to worry about such things.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
52 of 97

Hi Federico, and Charles, 

We apologize if the scheduled down time has caused you any inconvenience. There are issues that the team is working on now to fix right away. You may subscribe to status.upwork.com to get real time updates on the site's status.

~ Avery
Upwork
mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
53 of 97

Avery, I suscribe to the updates and frankly, they are less than helpful.  Generally, they say that there are problems, which we already know.  Today it said that some people might have problems - I was unable to contact any part of the site, including the forum, for several hours.

It also says that it was updated a certain number of minutes prior - but nothing is ever changed except the number of minutes since the last update.

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
54 of 97

Avery, respectfully, that site is like all those drivers who put their turn signals on as they are already making their turns.

It's not useful for me to go to a site after an interruption is already in progress to read "an interruption is in progress". The site never, ever has any useful information about how long the interruption will take to fix.

Even my local power company has better updates when there's an outage, and that's saying something. (Nothing good about Upwork.)

Also, this site should have a messaging system running on a secondary system to ensure that freelancers and clients can communicate at all times.

You guys make a big fuss about using your messaging platform. And until recently, using it was my preference.

Well guess what? After being stuck for hours today being unable to deliver a time-sensitive document to a client, I will now be recommending that ALL my clients move to off-site communication. (Don't worry, I won't deprive you guys of your "well-earned" 10/20%, I am just tired of being held hostage to this site's utter lack of reliability when I need to talk to my customers.)

The poor service we are receiving for the outrageous fees that we are charged is inexcusable, period, end of story as far as I am concerned. This is not the occasional unexpected problem. This is a systematic lack of quality caused simply by a lack of concern and/or competence, and is unprofessional in the extreme.

There are only two root causes for this level of ongoing poor service: you guys don't care or you guys don't know what you are doing. I'm not sure which is worse. I do know that this site has the worst reliability of any that I use, including heavily-trafficked sites that are completely free. By a country mile.

It's too bad we can't give you guys a JSS.

tgano
Community Guru
Tracye G Member Since: Sep 30, 2008
55 of 97

Ditto on ALL points Charles!

FYI Upworks... your dissmissive, we could care less attitude towards your freelancers (CLIENTS) and the busnisses who hire us (CLIENTS) WILL catch up with you!

There is ZERO, and I mean ZERO excuse for what is going on with this sight; and what makes it even worse is you charge an exborant fee to use this more down than up platform.

Upworks may not have a business to run, but we all do and so do our clients.

Either stop charging us or get your act together.

The level of patronizing excuse making is disgusting.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
56 of 97

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Federico, and Charles, 

We apologize if the scheduled down time has caused you any inconvenience. There are issues that the team is working on now to fix right away. You may subscribe to status.upwork.com to get real time updates on the site's status.

Scheduled?

"Incidents" are now scheduled? 

Ahahaha...

ETA: after reading Margarete's post - what email? I didn't get an email regarding scheduled maintenance. But that's nothing new is it, as I don't seem to get half of the official UW messages.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
57 of 97

What really, as in REALLY infuriates me is the way issues are spun in the status page.

How can Upwork claim that "some people" may have "occasional" issues accessing "some parts" of the site when in reality the whole thing is obviously broken for everyone, for hours on end.

Oh, and calling the site breaking "scheduled down time" is ridiculous and frankly offensive.

sourceprouk
Community Guru
Federico D Member Since: Sep 21, 2015
58 of 97

The thing is, Avery, that this has been going on for several days. I do not see how this can be maintenance but a serious problem in your system.

I wonder, have you checked among the registered freelancers if there are any website design experts who can solve the problems for you?

sourceprouk
Community Guru
Federico D Member Since: Sep 21, 2015
59 of 97

I have to agree with the others, these constant outages are bad and they make us freelancers look bad too. Many clients somehow think that we work for Upwork.

Like this, I will really never use that Upwork app to record your work time. I did not want to, anyhow. If the clients are happy for me to enter manual time, fine; if they insist on this app, I am not prepared to struggle with it or for them to snoop into what I am doing any time they want (if the site is working).

I sometimes see a project that interests me in the find work list. I go and write a proposal on another programme (lest Upwork stops working while I am typing it on its window) then, when I come back to copy and paste it in the proposal window, Upwork is not working. I go away and next time I come back to Upwork, the job has been awarded or I have forgotten about the job or I have lost the interest due to the struggle to put in the proposal.

I promised to send messages to two clients today (one of them wanted me to write the activities on the milestones so that he can go ahead and give me the job). I have now been waiting for the site to come back for 3 hours. It is near midnight and I cannot go to bed as a promise is a promise.

So now the site is back I can post this.

This is bad, really bad.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
60 of 97

True Story - Once, years ago, in the town where I lived, there was an Italian restaurant. It was small but the food was delicious. There was always a line out the door waiting to get inside. It was a little gold mine, right on the main road through the town I lived in.

The owner wanted more, he closed this little gold mine down, and build (or purchased, I can't remember) a much much bigger place. And it was located a couple of blocks in from the main road. And some of the people came there, but, it was really out of the way, and for whatever reason, the food wasn't the same. Most of the time, the place was almost empty. To drum up more business, he added go go girls. Needless to say, that didn't bring in more people, it actually drove away what little patrons that were there, away. After about a year, it closed down.

Once there was a freelancing site. It was not top freelancing site for clients, but it brought in more money and people, (freelancers and clients) then the top freelancing site. But this site wanted more. The owners wanted to make more money, and bring in more clients, So they bought the top freelancing site intending to expand dramatically = the money, clients and freelancers.

But then most of the freelancers and clients from the top site abandoned this new site. And the service just wasn't the same. Fees increased to try and make up for losses. And for whatever reason, the site kept going down. They tried to go to a new cloud service to stabilize their infrastructure, but it seems like it made it worst....

Just wondering if anyone sees a connection between the 2 stores.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS