Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Site is down again

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
61 of 97

@Kathy T wrote:

Most of the time, the place was almost empty. To drum up more business, he added go go girls. Needless to say, that didn't bring in more people, it actually drove away what little patrons that were there, away. After about a year, it closed down.

I protest: what about go-go guys?

In fact, that’s probably the reason the place shut down. Smiley Happy

"Certa bonum certamen"
sourceprouk
Community Guru
Federico D Member Since: Sep 21, 2015
62 of 97

Kathy T,

Yep, I miss Elance

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
63 of 97

It's incompetence. So many outages is incompetence, not lack of investment. They have no idea what they are doing. This never happens in the industry. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines** competitors must be really happy.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
zoomconcepts
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
64 of 97

shhh there is no war in Ba Sing Se

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
65 of 97

Moderators, I get that you're replying the way you've been told to, but I hope that our posts regarding site stability/infrastructure are being seen by someone other than yourselves and the engineering/technical team. Does anyone in management or at the "higher" levels read our very valid concerns? Because it doesn't seem to be sinking in and so continues the cycle of infuriated users, empty apologies, and lost time+money.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
66 of 97

Hi Isabelle Anne,

I fully understand the problems unscheduled service disruptions are causing you and other freelancers on Upwork, as I'm a freelancer as well. Having insight into both sides of the issue, I can assure you our engineers are working relentlessly to prevent and address any issues that arise, and ensure we have a stable platform in the long run. Your comments are noted and our team is communicating your feedback with other teams on a regular basis. Your concerns are valid and we do sincerely apologize for the down time and problems it has caused you. We take site stability seriously and it is our responsibility to provide you with a stable environment to conduct your business.

Untitled
charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
67 of 97

As far as I am concerned, Preston covers this entire issue, indirectly, in how he responds to clients who come to the site complaining about freelancers not delivering on critical projects. It usually goes something like this:

Client: "I had an urgent need for X and I hired freelancer Y and s/he didn't deliver and now I'm screwed!"

Preston: "If the need was that important, why did you hire only one freelancer? Why didn't you hire several to ensure that the job would get done?"

Client: [Usually no answer, but we all know the reason -- they didn't want to spend the extra money,]

This is exactly the same.

I don't give a flying fig about the engineers "working relentlessly". Nobody is accusing them of not trying their best. This isn't even about the engineers. It is about Upwork refusing to make the necessary investments of time, personnel and money to ensure a stable platform.

Why am I ever left in a situation where I can't deliver work to a client? I mean, this should be a once-in-a-blue-moon, asteroid-hit-the-server sort of thing. I don't expect bank-level redundancy, but really, no redundancy at all? Multiple times a week I lose contact with the people I am trying to do business with, and nothing is done about it?

This might be forgiveable if this were a free or low-cost site. It's not. I'm paying a monthly fee and ridiculously high commissions and in exchange getting literally the worst service of any company with which I regularly do business. And I mean literally as "literally", not in the new sense where it means the opposite.

Vladimir, I know you personally can't do anything about this, and I'm not blaming you for it. But Upwork as a whole is not taking responsibility for this mess, and their actions indicate an utter lack of concern for providing the services that we are paying for.

You guys are taking in hundreds of millions of dollars in revenues. Start acting like it.

P.S. I laugh at the little warnings in the messaging center asking me not to use Skype. I have been on Skype for over a decade. Know how many times I've been unable to use it for four hours straight? You don't even need one hand to count them.

P.P.S. Sorry for getting your name wrong, Vladimir! I knew it was that, it was just a "braino" when I wrote the post.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
68 of 97

Charles, I could have written the same thing. I'm not mad at our moderators, they are in the same (sinking) boat, but saying that I'm mad at the upper management would be an understatement.

They may have the harshest comments deleted as much as they want, people are really upset and I'm under the impression that **Edited for Community Guidelines** is losing clients. I can feel it.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
cartrellgeneral
Community Guru
Catherine M Member Since: Jan 20, 2017
69 of 97

To add insult to injury, there are NEVER any incentives given to those that are inconvenienced. Whenever I have dealt with poor service, on this magnitude, discounts and/or other incentives were given. On Upwork, all we get are canned responses and excuses. People are missing deadlines and clients are getting frustrated. We are expected to hold our end with Upwork but what are they doing in regards to their commitment to us? We expect a system that supports our business and we pay for that service yet Upwork is failing to deliver on a consistent basis. I do appreciate the Upwork platform as it is a great place to find clients but the technical infrastructure leaves a lot to be desired especially when people are submitting work through the system to maintain compliance and/or have protections through it.

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
70 of 97

@Catherine M wrote:

To add insult to injury, there are NEVER any incentives given to those that are inconvenienced. Whenever I have dealt with poor service, on this magnitude, discounts and/or other incentives were given. On Upwork, all we get are canned responses and excuses. People are missing deadlines and clients are getting frustrated. We are expected to hold our end with Upwork but what are they doing in regards to their commitment to us? We expect a system that supports our business and we pay for that service yet Upwork is failing to deliver on a consistent basis. I do appreciate the Upwork platform as it is a great place to find clients but the technical infrastructure leaves a lot to be desired especially when people are submitting work through the system to maintain compliance and/or have protections through it.

Yep, this too speaks louder than words.

I once had a flight where I was having trouble booking a seat. I called the airline, and the woman apologized for the inconvenience and upgraded me to a premium seat ($100+ perk) without my even asking for it.

Here we can't even get them to cough up a few connects or a fee discount.

Of course airlines have lots of competition. Again, if Elance and oDesk were still separate, none of this would be happening, that's for sure.

All of it says the same collectively: "We. Don't. Care."

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS