Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Site is down again

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
81 of 97

@Valeria K wrote:

I would also like to ask you to be mindful of the Community Guidelines and refrain from making accusations of incompetence toward Upwork staff.

Valeria, you've been very helpful with general community issues and great with following up on personal requests I've made. But if the site keeps going on like this, the moderators' jobs are going to become a lot more taxing. And we're just a small group of frustrated voices on the forums - there are plenty on the FB page and other social sites. Besides that, it seems like a lot of clients (including mine) are airing their grievances about the site directly to their freelancers. They're silently fuming and slowly moving away from hiring through the site.

I would actually like to hear an authentic message from "management" itself on this issue. I don't really understand Upwork's organizational structure, but I feel like we're not hearing from the people who are actually responsible for this / the ones who can make a real change.

Until then, what else can we do apart from blaming this on incompetence?

sourceprouk
Community Guru
Federico D Member Since: Sep 21, 2015
82 of 97

Please do something about your site. Tonight at midnight, when your site finally came back after you had been supposedly repairing it, I pasted a message to a client Your site pasted a partial version of it around 20 times.

I had to go back and delete each and every one of them. I still cannot paste the message.

Like somebody else said, I will now have to communicate with clients via Skype, email and phone.

I am sorry but your site DOES NOT WORK. You need to hire an expert, from the hundreds of web experts you have listed, to repair it.

kathrynbaughman
Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
83 of 97

I rarely get involved in these discussions, as they tend to be too inflamed for me.  However, when the site's "downtime" starts to cause my clients to complain, I get a bit irritated.  I have clients apologizing to me because they could not even log in to release payments to me.

I cannot simply print out the recycled "We're sorry for the inconvenience" messages and hand them to my electric company, internet provider, or landlord and get an "Oh, we understand, it's ok." in return so please don't expect us to say that to those messages ourselves.  

This site instability is not new.  It existed before the merger and has only worsened over time.  Clients are leaving.  Freelancers are leaving.  No compensation is being offered, nor a reduction in fee percentage.  

Oh, and the email I just received today made me laugh.  Do you really think I'm going to bring my outside clients to this broken platform?  Seriously?  No.  I won't.  Not even for that cushy 0% fees offer.  

Bah, I'm heading to bed.  This is why I don't come to the site often, other than to "Get Paid", which is apparently going to require more effort than it should if this keeps up.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
This widget could not be displayed.
84 of 97
This widget could not be displayed.

I am also on other freelancer platforms. Some of them try to adapt features of Upwork to become more attractive and sometimes Google Ads appear that refer to the downtimes on Upwork. Additionally, today I have received an email from an Upwork competitor who referred to the downtimes on Upwork (without mentioning the name but asking: "Sick of downtime on inferior platforms?") and the 20% fees trying to encourage freelancers to move with their clients to this platform. They offer already a button for this, freelancers who will do this will be rewarded with 0% fees. As I am a member of this platform as well I am unable to share this email with Upwork.

To be clear, I would never do something like this. And yes, Upwork can threaten to sue all freelancers and clients who will do this and this could become expensive. But Upwork, should be aware that the permanent downtimes and bugs threaten its business and there must be an immediate change. Otherwise competitors will take advantage of this.

Listen, moderators, this post is not intended to be offensive towards Upwork. I want Upwork to become aware about the dangers in the market that exist already.

motyduke
Community Guru
Olivier P Member Since: May 25, 2015
85 of 97

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi All,

I'd like to reiterate what Vladimir said earlier on this thread. We understand your frustration and our apologies are sincere. Various teams are constantly working to improve the platform and prevent such prolonged downtime from happening in the future. We'll also continue to keep you updated about the reasons why such issues happen and what is being done about it. 

I would also like to ask you to be mindful of the Community Guidelines and refrain from making accusations of incompetence toward Upwork staff.

Thank you.

Valeria , you are always kind and helpful but you and others must understand that we don't want apologies and understanding of our fustration. We want facts and improvement. We are partt of this project and we pay a large amount of fees. I use a lot of services of any kind on interent and i still have never seen a website with so often mess and down times. I see that your team try to put many improvement . But when will you understand that we don't need improvement but a stable version. Make the website stable and flawless and only after can make improvement. Nobody make real accustaion of incompetence but we see the facts and the results. How many times the site is down ? For how long ? our customers check our work and rate the RESULTS we have. We do the same with the website. I am sorry to erad apologies again and again , we want to read authentic messages of management about what you really do. What is the plan ? What are the actions taken to fix the definitely the problems ?

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
86 of 97

Hey, guess which site is down again...

Downwork.jpg

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
nymerion
Community Leader
Konstantinos X Member Since: Sep 8, 2015
87 of 97

@Rene K wrote:

Hey, guess which site is down again...

Downwork.jpg

..Well that is surprising..

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
88 of 97

Rene and Konstantine,

Do you get the error when you refresh the page?

~ Valeria
Upwork
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
89 of 97

@Valeria K wrote:

Rene and Konstantine,

Do you get the error when you refresh the page?

It was the case, same error when refreshing. And after a while, everything went back to normal.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
nymerion
Community Leader
Konstantinos X Member Since: Sep 8, 2015
90 of 97

I still get these random errors while navigating from one point of the website to another.

For example, I'm looking at the Job feed wanting to go to my profile and I get the error. Then I refresh and it works.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS