🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Sketchy Company Requests
Page options
catherineputt
Community Member

Sketchy Company Requests

Hi, everyone,

I am new here and need advice ASAP. I filed a bid for some proofreading work. I received a message on Upwork and was asked to open Skype and have an "interview" but I had to answer 11 questions. Now here is the sketchy part. The guy said he would like to work with me...but I must work off a separate computer of my own which they will send me a check so I can go buy?? And the project was supposed to be a children's storybook but the guy just said the company is a trucking company....???? ALSO that the first chapter won't be through Upwork but the next ones will. The next 6. 

Tell me this is sketchy because IDK. NEED ADVICE!!

9 REPLIES 9
11f7a755
Community Member

I wouldn't hold my breath Catherine.  If it walks like a mallard...

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It's definitely a scam, and even if it wasn't, it would be against Upwork's terms of service for you to accept a payment off the platform (you can be banned for that). Use the "flag as inappropriate" link at the top-right of the proposal page to report this client and then you'll get your connects back.

Thank you for your help! They already deleted the proposal thoughSmiley Sad how horrible is that!! Grrr. This isn't going well for my first time!

rverang
Community Member

Catherine P wrote:

Hi, everyone,

I am new here and need advice ASAP. I filed a bid for some proofreading work. I received a message on Upwork and was asked to open Skype and have an "interview" but I had to answer 11 questions. Now here is the sketchy part. The guy said he would like to work with me...but I must work off a separate computer of my own which they will send me a check so I can go buy?? And the project was supposed to be a children's storybook but the guy just said the company is a trucking company....???? ALSO that the first chapter won't be through Upwork but the next ones will. The next 6. 

Tell me this is sketchy because IDK. NEED ADVICE!!

Run away. It's 100% scam.

robin_hyman
Community Member

This is a known scam targeting new freelancers. RUN!

Thanks for letting me know!!

Catherine,

Congratulations. Your senses are sufficiently developed to detect something wrong with the job. That often takes a new freelancer at least a year, usually more, and winds up costing the freelancer a pile of money. I will look at your profile, because I need at least one proofreading job done per month.

Welcome to the Land of Strange Odors. If it smells, walk away. In fact, Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit.

Thank you for your kind words. I will be sure to run haha!

Hi Catherine,

I'd be happy to check this for you. Please send me a PM with more information so I can check. You can PM me by clicking on my name. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members