🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Sketchy Job?
Page options
carolinems1
Community Member

Sketchy Job?

Hello! This is my first time really exploring this community section, so I hope I'm posting in the right place, but I'm looking for advice on a job that I'm currently interviewing for:

So the original job posting was to address envelopes and write on the index cards to be placed inside of them. I figured maybe it was for a party or something, but it turns out it's for a legal-by-a-technicality online poker game that the client is working for. Now, this already doesn't entirely sit right with me, but it's good money (for a beginner), an easy job, and would be semi-long-term. However, this client is planning on mailing the envelopes/index cards to me, asking me to address them, then asking me to mail them back to him and saying he'll cover the cost of shipping—which means he would have my address. Even if I bought the materials myself and he (hopefully) covered the cost, I would still have to mail them to him, meaning he would get my address either way.

Do I try to find a way around giving my address, but still attempt to do the job? Do I bring this up with the client and ask for a way to do this more safely? Do I report him without addressing it with him first? Do I simply say that I'm no longer interested in the job?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Hm it sounds weird. Tell him that you feel the job is not the right fit and you wish him all the best with his almost legal poker game.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Hm it sounds weird. Tell him that you feel the job is not the right fit and you wish him all the best with his almost legal poker game.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Letting the client know your address is not the primary problem. The primary problem is you have to trust this person who you already know to  be scruple-challenged to reimburse you for out-of-pocket costs plus pay you what he promised. Don't clog up your job history or your life with this. You'll be better off in the long run sticking to writing & proofreading.

That's certainly a good point! Thank you for the advice, I've turned down the offer.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Caroline,

Thank you for flagging this job for us. I was able to locate the job you're referring to and will have it reviewed by the team!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you for your help!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members