🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Sketchy Listing...
Page options
silveirapjohn
Community Member

Sketchy Listing...

I found a job which I did the interview process through here, but now they are asking me questions in regards to mobile deposit limit and what bank I used as a means to send funds to me to get equipment necessary for the job which I find sketchy.

Would there be a way to do a background check on the individual responsible for the job posting?

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

LOL.

You don't need to do a background check.

Those are not real clients. Those are just scammers trying to steal your money.

You already know that.

If you have not already done so, then use the Three Dots icon or "Flag as inapropriate" link in the top right hand corner of the job posting to report these scammers. Upwork will quickly remove them from the platform, and you will receive connects back.

Well, these scammers are on YOUR platform. 

YOUR company should be screening these requests. I don't really see the humor in wasting my time. 

This is the second time I have come into contact with scammers on your site. I will make sure others know how well you run your company. 

John S wrote:

YOUR company should be screening these requests. I don't really see the humor in wasting my time. 

This is the second time I have come into contact with scammers on your site. I will make sure others know how well you run your company. 

Hi John, you misunderstand. This community is mostly of freelancers who answer each others' questions. Preston is not staff. Upwork is not "his"  platform (or mine). 

Unfortunately, if you went down the rabbit hole with this, you'd see that preventing scammers the way you suggest would be so costly that Upwork would go under. However, you can avoid these situations by referring to the TOS, which tells you to never accept any payment off platform (or have pre-contract conversations off platform). If you follow best practices, the likelihood of getting scammed is quite low. Scammers do target people who are new to the platform; it's just the way it is. There are a number of threads on this forum that can help you identify scammers. But really the best way is to play by the TOS. 

Hope this helps. 

John S wrote:

Screen your own requests, lol - you're a grown adult running your own company through a platform that allows you to do so

I really am shocked this kind of stuff isn't common sense, what if someone emailed you through your personal freelancing website and pulled the same stunt, would you fall for it? or do you just inherently trust every potential client on a platform with literal millions of users...

One of the oldest, dumbest scams on the internet. 

Simply flag as inappropriate and move on. Only very dim people get taken in by nonsense such as that.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths