roman-butusov

Skrill payment reversal. Support is not doing anything helpful

On September 28 I got all my Upwork balance sent to Skrill automatically using Auto payment system. I realized it too late when the funds already went to my Skrill account. I didn't want it to go to Skrill because currently I cannot withdraw it from Skrill and cannot go to my bank, because I'm abroad.

So I contacted Upwork support immediately and they asked me to contact Skrill in order for them to do the reversal. Funny to say, but Skrill never replied up until now, and the status of my request in their system is still "New", that means no one even looked at it. I've also googled and found out that Skrill support is not answering emails and phone calls at all. I went to their Facebook page and found out a lot of complains from people whose money is stuck in Skrill and Skrill not doing anything. I also commented on their Facebook but still no response and my ticket status is still "new".

So I asked Upwork support if I can send the funds back to Upwork Skrill account and they confirmed that. So I sent it immediately and provided all the reference numbers so my payment can be traced and my funds returned to my Upwork balance.

Since then I'm getting no meaningful response from Upwork Support, they send me template answers, they stated that they emailed Skrill and waiting for response. But Skrill is not responding and that's why I've been told to send the funds back myself, without waiting for Skrill cofirmation!

I suspect they don't know what Skrill is and have no access to Skrill account to trace my payment, instead they just send template follow-ups emails, without reading previous messages I've sent them.

I need someone from Upwork who CAN actually check that Skrill account and identify my payments and credit my funds back to my Upwork balance. I provided Support with all payment reference numbers, I have sent screenshots of my payment details to them, and since Friday the funds still not credited back to my Upwork account and I'm not getting any meaningful response.

My Upwork support ticket number is 4952023 and I hope that my message will reach the RIGHT people now, so my case can be finally solved.

Attached is the screenshot with my Skrill transfers.

22 REPLIES 22
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Roman,

I understand your frustration with the delay. However, Upwork representatives do not have access to your Skrill account and the funds that have been sent there. I have followed up about the ticket you referred to and the team is still waiting for a response from Skrill to trace the returned transaction and credit it back to your account. They will update you as soon as it's done through the ticket.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

Please try to understand that I've already sent money back to Upwork. And the money is now in Upwork Skrill account, it's not in my account anymore! Said that, you don't need access to MY account, you need access to YOUR OWN Skrill account to trace up my payment!

You're saying that you don't have access to your own Skrill account? Should I believe that?

You're saying that you're waiting for Skrill response, but what gonna happen if they never respond? Because they never reply to emails and phone calls, just read comments on their Facebook page.

My money is already returned to Upwork Skrill account, you just need to have someone who has access to your own account verify my payment. If that needs to be forwarded to Finance Team or whatever, please do so, so they can verify my payment. You never going to have a response from Skrill.

Upwork for sure HAS access to their own Skrill account and please don't tell me that you don't.

Am I being ignored here?

First of all, it never was MY action to send all my Upwork earnings for the whole quarter to Skrill, it was YOUR system that kicked in and never asked for my confirmation.

In a situation like this you should do your best to help to reverse that erroneous transaction, but instead I'm getting template replies and "thanks for your patience". Give me all your money you earn for 3 month and I will thank you for your patience too.

If you really would like to help, and if you don't have access to your own Skrill account (which is of course nonsense), how about I give you access to MY Skrill account so you can trace both payments: the one that you sent me and the one I returned back to Upwork account? Would you be able to trace it then?

Hi Roman,

I am sorry it's causing you inconvenience. Just to clarify, the money was sent to your payment method not by mistake but according to your set Payment Schedule. Please make sure you have the correct payment method set up as Primary.

I have followed up with the team and they are doing their best to resolve this issue for you as soon as possible. Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Setting aside the question of why the original poster configured his payment withdrawal's default account to be a Skrill account which he apparently can't use (??), let me make a general observation:

It is a serious tactical error to leave your money in your Upwork account, or in a PayPal account.

Upwork and PayPal are websites that facilitate financial transactions, but they are not banks.

Both Upwork and PayPal have many rules in place in order to combat financial fraud. Both Upwork or PayPal have automated algorithms in place designed to detect financial fraud. If you, as a user, trip one of those algorithms, even through innocent action on your part, then your financial holdings can be put on hold or confiscated permanently. If you are working with somebody, such as a client, whose financial activity causes concern, then your financial holdings can be put on hold, through no fault of your own.

As a regular reader of posts in the Community Forum, I can not count the number of times I have read the complaints of users who have had large sums of money in their Upwork account locked up and blocked from accessability.

But if those same users had withdrawn their money to an account they fully control, such as a bank account, Upwork has absolutely no ability to access that money. Upwork can't reach into your bank account and take money back.

Personally, I don't leave money in my Upwork account at all. Once money is available for withdrawal, I withdraw it within minutes.

Now it is easier for me to do that than some people, because I withdraw money to a U.S. bank account, and doing so is completely free. I can withdraw money ten times a day and never pay a fee.

So if you don't have a U.S. bank account, I'm assuming that the fees associated with withdrawing money are the reason you don't withdraw money instantly.

But you need to weigh the fees you will need to pay against the risk of leaving your money in your Upwork account and having it become completely unavailable to you without any warning. Maybe you don't want to withdraw money EVERY week, but why would somebody leave a large amount of money in their account for three months? This strikes me as very risky.

I would suggest being willing to pay a fee once in a while in order to get control of your money. If the money grows to a substantial amount, withdraw it to your own bank account. It is better to pay a $3.00 fee in order to withdraw $1000.00 than to leave that money in your Upwork account and wake up one morning to see that Upwork blocked financial withdrawals because one of your clients let their credit card information lapse or something.

Or better yet, set up a withdrawal system that is free or very inexpensive to use. Many non-U.S. citizens who do NOT live in the United States withdraw their money to U.S. bank accounts. They can then use money from those U.S. bank accounts to fund debit cards or credit cards or PayPal accounts which they can use to access money and purchase goods in their own country.

Hi Preston,

Thank you for your message. You're of course right, that was a big mistake to keep money in Upwork for a prolonged period. Though I knew that Paypal can easily freeze user funds, I thought that Upwork is different. I was wrong. Lesson is learnt now.

I'd like to ask, what payment service could you recommend so I can have an US bank ACH account if I'm not a citizen and I'm abroad?

For example, Payoneer is not good for that. Though you can receive money using ACH transfer to Payoneer card, you're pretty much stuck there with your Payoneer card. Because if you want to withdraw to your local bank, Payoneer only sends funds in local currency (using very bad conversion rates). Also when you withdraw in ATM, that's also in local currency, plus you have to deal with local ATM fees + local currency conversion rates + local ATM withdrawal limits + Payoneer fees. Also you cannot use a debit card as a savings account to keep all the money there.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Roman,

I just got a confirmation that the amount was located and credited back to your Upwork account. You can check it in your Transaction History.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Hi, Roman.

How long did it take for you to get your money back to your UpWork (Odesk) account? I'm on the same situation right now and UpWork said they could no longer reverse the payment. I cannot withdraw from my Skrill account. 😞 So I don't know why they can't. I can't contact Skrill support and talk to someone sensible enough to care for my dilemma (which is frustrating). I'm soo worried right now because the money is not mine but for a company fund. 😞 I'm hoping someone from UpWork could help.

Selcalmel,

Our team has already contacted Skill about reversing your withdrawal but, unfortunately, received a negative answer. You may need to reach out to them directly for help with retrieving your money.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I have the same situation like this. What should I do? I was sure that my scheduled withdrawal was connected to Payoneer instead of Skrill. But when I woke up this morning I saw that all funds transfered to Skrill. 

@Miroslav L wrote:

I have the same situation like this. What should I do?

Just do whatever you usually do with funds you have on your Skrill account...

Unfortunately can't because Skrill prepaid card does not work for me any more. I must be SEPA citizen to be able to use Skrill card. It will be best for me if I can return those funds into my Upwork balance like Roman did.

Hi Miroslav,

Thanks for submitting a ticket with additional details as well. It has already been escalated and the team will reply as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello Valeria. It seems there is no progress with my case. I'm concerned about that nobody gave me answer about second solution for this problem. Meybe you can do. The second solution is that we don't wait for Skrill action to cancel what already done. I can sent all my money back to skrill_account@upwork.com and pay sending fee of 20 EUR for that. Once Upwork registers this transaction Upwork will credited my balance for received money and my problem is solved. I'm also concerned that Skrill will cancel original transaction because too many time is passed anyway. Can we solve problem this way?

Kind regards 

@Miroslav L wrote:

Hello Valeria. It seems there is no progress with my case. I'm concerned about that nobody gave me answer about second solution for this problem. Meybe you can do. The second solution is that we don't wait for Skrill action to cancel what already done. I can sent all my money back to skrill_account@upwork.com and pay sending fee of 20 EUR for that. Once Upwork registers this transaction Upwork will credited my balance for received money and my problem is solved. I'm also concerned that Skrill will cancel original transaction because too many time is passed anyway. Can we solve problem this way?

I very much doubt it because that would make it a payment (not a transaction reversal) to Upwork.

Hva you looked into sending your money from your Skrill to your Payoneer account instead?

Yes but that way I will lost to much because of currency conversion USD -> EUR, because Skrill does not allow sending USD anymore, only EUR. So best way for me to back money to Upwork and then send it to Payoneer from Upwork.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Miroslav,

I see our agent responded on your ticket earlier today, please refer to the information they shared and feel free to follow up with them.

Untitled

Ok I did as you instructed. I hope somebody will answer my question.

Thanks

Hi. Did they return your money?

Hi!

I'm having same problem as Roman and Miroslav. Can please someone take a look on my ticket and help me as well? https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/18248721

Hi Kho Fu,

Somebody will update you through the ticket as soon as possible.

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Upwork