cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype Clients - WOT !

oambrosa
Community Leader

Is it just me, or the guys/clients obsessed with skype are just A BIG waste of time ?

21 REPLIES 21
mthornton-cpc
Community Guru

I've found that clients who want to interview over Skype can sometimes be spammy. Same goes for Google Hangouts. However, sometimes they're simply more comfortable communicating that way. My personal rule is that I only interview outside of the platform if the job seems really perfect for me. Once I've been working with a client and I trust her/him I have no problem communicating off-platform via whatever method the client likes best - email, Skype, etc. The bottom line is that there are usually many more red flags that pop up in a job posting or first message from a potential client to let you know a s/he is bad news than just the communication method they want to use. 

zita-stanley

I don't see any reason to use Skype when there is video chat on Upwork. I personally have only used it once with a client but I was a little apprehensive as to what image I'd be met with. I had not issues but too many of the spammers are looking for Skype addresses.

csjarmitage
Community Guru

I always start with a brief conversation in Upwork messaging and then request a 15 minute Skype call. A couple of freelancers have stopped the discussion right there and moved on to other jobs, and that's fine.

However, without a short Skype call, we won't move forward in the hiring process. I understand that other clients have made Skype a bad word but, for us, it's a requirement. The jobs we hire for are complex, with narrow timelines and a call means that I can convey those requirements clearly, without misunderstanding.

That said, my client has a really strong presence on the platform so I think that helps mitigate some of the concern.

Let's not forget the contractors obsessed with Skype. Had one yesterday. Literally asked for my Skype ID at least six times.

After the project was done. Why??

Ever experienced job failure, refund request and subsequent JSS blow all owing to Upwork's messaging system inconsistency? Once it happens yto you for any more detailed communication you will want  to have it moved outside Upwork. 

Of course, "thanks for applying and please your skype/email/gmail/microsoft/yahoo account" gets discarded especially if they're mass interviewing almost everyone who applied.

The most ridiculous is when "skype please" comes as an "additional question" in the job posting. Just saw a job posting featuring it. I am not even sure if its by the rules to make an open contact request in the job posting. 

If they chat with you first and want to have a skype call, then it's usually OK. If their only response is "here is my skype" then yeah, wot. 

I would never give one of those "give me skype" providers my skype because all they do is bug you for work and give me job messages.

It probably depends greatly on the type of work you do, but I always insist on a Skype voice chat before I take on a new project.  On average, these calls are 45 minutes to an hour.  I do not charge for this time. This allows me to ask a lot of questions so I can clearly define the job objectives and to gauge the level of information that is available to me to complete the task.  More importantly, it allows me to assess the client.  There have been times that I have turned down the job simply because I was not comfortable with the client.

@Preston H wrote:

Let's not forget the contractors obsessed with Skype. Had one yesterday. Literally asked for my Skype ID at least six times.

After the project was done. Why??

Did you get the impression the contractor wanted to contact you off-platform in an effort to get off-platform work? That's the only thing I can think of. It's weird.  

kevinkevin7_11
Ace Contributor

I think people are just flaky, on and off skype.  I have gotten countless messages on Upwork over the years that begin with the client going through and complimenting indivdual pieces of my reel (so I know they are sincere) and getting excited about hiring me only to never hear from them again after their initial message.  I feel like thats just part of freelancing, unfortunately.  

pandoraharper
Community Guru

Skype does not equal scam.  My client base almost always uses it for hiring and small meetings. I'd hate to pay $40-$60 a month for a landline, and need voice calling (inbound and outbound), so I pay for a Skype # and outbound calling.

My clients love that I am set up to handle voice communication right out of the gate. Scammy and time wasting clients are everywhere. No doubt some of them use Skype, but unlike the Google Hangouts thing, if a client asks for Skype ID, I'm happy to provide.

Of course, this totally depends on the services that you provide. In some industries, it makes no sense to do a voice call. Long term jobs should have a voice interview though because that is a ongoing gig and the clients like to confirm you can "speak" as well as you write.

re: "Did you get the impression the contractor wanted to contact you off-platform in an effort to get off-platform work? That's the only thing I can think of. It's weird."

Honestly? Yes.

He did great work, but he didn't log time using the time-tracker. Then I told him to log time manually, and he dragged his feet on doing that. I sent him step-by-step instructions. He said he already knew how to add the time. I had to ask him a number of times to add his time manually before he finally did so.

His English wasn't very good, and I ignored a couple of ambiguous statements he made about payment. It is possible that he had in his head an idea about communicating via Skype and getting paid off-platform. But I don't know that for certain and, frankly, he really was good at what I hired him to do and I don't want him to get in any trouble.

I never confronted him on the issue. And I never provided him with my Skype ID.

re: "Skype does not equal scam."

I agree 100%.

I hope nobody reading this or other threads thinks that Skype is associated with scams.

I don't think that.

I think most use of Skype on Upwork is legitimate. When it's not legitimate, it is associated with other scam warning signs.

The taking people off platform is sooo rampant, but you know what do you expect when you give freelancers a second chance after getting caught with auto clickers or stealing portfolio items or stealing overviews. Is it really that surprising they are capable of stealing money from your pocket?

96ece90c

Hi!

As some others have mentioned, we have video/voice capability (and even screensharing) of Messages now, so you don't have to exchange personal information (eg: Skype IDs)! Try it out. And message me your feedback.

Lisa-Anne

@Lisa-Anne C wrote:

Hi!

As some others have mentioned, we have video/voice capability (and even screensharing) of Messages now, so you don't have to exchange personal information (eg: Skype IDs)! Try it out. And message me your feedback.

Lisa-Anne

I've used it twice (been interviewed) and it was a terrible experience.

The first time I couldn't hear the client at all, so we ended up communicating in the worst possible way - I was talking, he was typing. The second time I've quit after 2 minutes - the video wasn't working at all, and I could barely hear 1 word out of 10.

Until the in-built call/video system will be flawless, I'm going for Skype.

As for scammers - I've never been scammed on Upwork, and I've been interviewed over Skype about 80% of the time. I still use Skype for fast and easy communication (the chat feature) while working for a client, and we keep Upwork's messaging system for important emails. I've never had a problem with it.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry it was so unusable for you!  We are working to learn more about the issues users are encountering so that we can make improvements... so it becomes "flawless" as you mention.

tj1972
Community Guru

I even suggest potential clients if that's more convenient for them to meet over skype. In many cases lot easier to share ideas and discuss things over skype (at least in engineering).

I don't think it's an indicator of having or not having "problem" with client or waste of time.

If someone wants to scamm it can be done even within the Upwork messaging.

Lisa-Anne: I actually have used the built in video chat capability in Upwork's messaging tool, and I found that it worked fine. By my estimation there are now at least 2.0000 people who know this feature exists.

Hi Preston,

Haha, I like your estimate - Our of curiosity - what gives you that number? 

Lisa-Anne

Lisa-Anne: you know about it. And I know about it. That makes 2 people.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS