cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype Number Forwarding To Philippines, Quality Sucks - Any Suggestions?

91eb5cc6
Isaac S Member Since: Apr 25, 2016
1 of 24

Hi everyone,

TLDR; How would you suggest I forward my business phone to a freelancer in the Philippines? Skype, Google Voice, Ring Central all have terrible audio quality.

I've recently hired a full time customer service rep in the Philippines to answer phone calls for my company.  I heard Skype was good, so I bought a Skype number, forwarded calls to it and let him answer with the Skype app on his computer.

The problem is that the audio quality is terrible when having phone calls forwarded to a computer.  Computer to computer calls are fine, his internet speed is good, but when you involve the actual phone forwarding, call quality is dramatically reduced.  When I log in to the Skype account and answer from here it's great.

I've tried Google Voice (answering from Hangouts) and Ring Central both with the same or worse results.

Do you have any suggestions? Is there a non-VOIP solution that's affordable? Somehow forward calls to his land line?

There are a lot of call centers out there so I know there must be a solution. 

Thanks for any help!

Isaac

mfmaxwell
Community Leader
Fernanda M Member Since: Apr 10, 2016
2 of 24

it is VoIP, but guaranteed

I used it for a long period, quality was excellent making phone calls anywhere to land and mobile lines

https://www.nextiva.com/

91eb5cc6
3 of 24

Thanks for the input, I'll check it out.  Are you in the Philippines or have you used it with anyone there?

ago_g
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
4 of 24

Just a suggestion.

Any chance you want to setup your freelancer with a number to skip the need for call forwarding? You setup one up for yourself. Same idea, but setup for your freelancer.

I haven't the foggiest how much it would cost you and / or IF it would improve things. But the problem is in the forwarding so try to skip it.

91eb5cc6
5 of 24

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm completely open to that, but I don't have any idea how it's done or if it's possible. I'd need to set my guy up in the Philippines with a US phone number. Do you know how that's done?

firescue17
Community Guru
Steve L Member Since: May 5, 2015
6 of 24

Having previously managed call center employees in the Philipines, the sub-standard audio quality is due to the telecommunications infrastructure. It's terrible.

I have used all of the platforms mentioned for a variety of inbound direct, call forwarding, and VoIP replacements. Each one worked very well in the United States and Europe. Likewise, each one worked very poorly in the Philipines.

91eb5cc6
7 of 24

Well that's discouraging.  Thanks for your input, though.  So while they were all bad, was there one that worked better than the others?

firescue17
Community Guru
Steve L Member Since: May 5, 2015
8 of 24

It's not the particular software platform which is the issue, it's the actual copper and wireless infrastructure. Everything outside of Manila is junk. Entire office buildings are run off the same router and all the businesses ante up to split the cost of internet which is no faster than what people in the U.S. use for their house.

Residential internet is extremely uncommon. In the Freelancing arena, it's entirely possible you've hired someone working out of an internet cafe which by its very nature will have a congested network and subsequent degradation in call quality and / or background noise.

91eb5cc6
9 of 24

Thanks for your insight.  The guy I hired works from his house in the middle of the night, and his internet speed (checked through speedtest.net) isn't great, but it's not terrible - 3.05 Mb down, 0.77 up.  At my house in semi-rural Washington State we don't have much better.

He lives in Muntinlupa, which I gather is on the edge of the Manila area.  Maybe the VOIP call goes through so many junky connections on its way to him?

Given your experience, is there a better solution?  Maybe a direct phone line would be better - should I get him a US number somehow?

Thanks so much for your input!

dataextract
Community Guru
Ramesh K Member Since: Oct 25, 2015
10 of 24
Try sonetel.com

You can get a USA number which you can set forward to a phillipines number. Or ask your freelancer to download sonetel app and he can receive the calls in that number.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS