Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Skype for simple task. Why?

a_miroshnichenko
Community Leader
Alexandr M Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
1 of 23

Job description is simple, budget mid+, but client asked me for skype, and i think half of other freelancers who made their proposals he asked for skype too. Why? I just simply said him that at my opinion job looks simple, budjet not to high, and I required to know just 2 more things,- so skype not required.

Why he may ask for skype?

mrdanielprice
Community Guru
Daniel P Member Since: Aug 15, 2014
2 of 23

He probably asked for Skype as he prefers it to Upwork's social/messaging system.

 

If the job doesn't require much back and forth between the client and the freelancer, then they may just be fishing for Skype IDs.

a_miroshnichenko
Community Leader
Alexandr M Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
3 of 23

In my situation it can't be typical fishing - couse he already spent some money at Upwork. 

I have already withdrawn interview with mark "by mistake".

Probably client with untypical habits. If he does not like Upwork's messaging system, probably he does not like other things, like feedback writing, e.t.c.

Just now I think it was better to talk with him in skype, but reject job anyway.

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
4 of 23

@Alexandr M wrote:

In my situation it can't be typical fishing - couse he already spent some money at Upwork. 

I have already withdrawn interview with mark "by mistake".

Probably client with untypical habits. If he does not like Upwork's messaging system, probably he does not like other things, like feedback writing, e.t.c.

Just now I think it was better to talk with him in skype, but reject job anyway.


I don't like Upwork's messaging system. I lost weeks of messages in one second while talking to a client. So I'm not thrilled with it in it's current state.

I offer my Skype id and my Gmail because they are more stable forms of communication right now. Once the glitches are out of Upwork messaging, then I'll feel confident, but I'll need to have backup ready.

 

Even using email or Skype you can keep records of your conversations in case you're worried about that. If not, it's still a handy tip.

 

This widget could not be displayed.
5 of 23
This widget could not be displayed.

@Alexandr M wrote:

Job description is simple, budget mid+, but client asked me for skype, and i think half of other freelancers who made their proposals he asked for skype too. Why? I just simply said him that at my opinion job looks simple, budjet not to high, and I required to know just 2 more things,- so skype not required.

Why he may ask for skype?


Clients who are very keen on Skype conversation very often want to hire off the plattform. That is my experience so far.  

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
6 of 23

Some clients want to use Skype so they know who they're dealing with..and sometimes they stll don't know who they're dealing with. 

Some clients don't like typing all the time. 

Some clients like to put a voice to the face. 

I've used Skype to text chat or to voice chat. I prefer the former because I'm not used to talking anymore 

 

I also want to know who I'm dealing with when I interview the client. 

Sometimes I can tell by how they speak to me if they're cool, and sometimes I"m wrong. 

Call me old fashioned, but I do like to at least have a voice convo if possible. 

 

None of my interviews have asked me to work off upwork. 

prospect39
Community Leader
Peter G Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
7 of 23

In addition to what Mariska said, connecting person-to-person with prospects is a great tool for building long-term relationships. 

 

In general, people want to hire (and rehire) people they know and like (and will treat them better).  A Skype call helps you become human in each other's eyes, not just faceless abstractions.

 

 

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
8 of 23

@Peter G wrote:

In addition to what Mariska said, connecting person-to-person with prospects is a great tool for building long-term relationships. 

 

In general, people want to hire (and rehire) people they know and like (and will treat them better).  A Skype call helps you become human in each other's eyes, not just faceless abstractions.

 

 


Well put Peter. Smiley Happy  

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
9 of 23

Few months ago in interview someone insisted on email, and I gave it. He didn't send any email. Only, I started receivining soon after spam messages selling website services. No unsuscribe option, just plain emails with offers. 

 

And few times I gave my Skype id and client would add me and start no conversation ever.

 

So, I don't give my email/Skype anymore before contract starts.

And I explain in interview I don't do calls. This doesn't suit me because:

 

  • I don't comprehend as well as written communication, because native speakers talk fast and I'm bad in grammar, so while I'm trying to make decent reply in my head, (s)he is already on the next step,
  • I like to have it all written so I can come back later and remind myself
  • I don't work in quiet office, but in a noisy apartment
  • can't schedule my time anymore, except late evening and I'm in no mood to talk when I'm overtired
____________
Don't correct my grammar!
screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
10 of 23

@Vesna M wrote:

Few months ago in interview someone insisted on email, and I gave it. He didn't send any email. Only, I started receivining soon after spam messages selling website services. No unsuscribe option, just plain emails with offers. 

 

And few times I gave my Skype id and client would add me and start no conversation ever.

 

So, I don't give my email/Skype anymore before contract starts.

And I explain in interview I don't do calls. This doesn't suit me because:

 

  • I don't comprehend as well as written communication, because native speakers talk fast and I'm bad in grammar, so while I'm trying to make decent reply in my head, (s)he is already on the next step,
  • I like to have it all written so I can come back later and remind myself
  • I don't work in quiet office, but in a noisy apartment
  • can't schedule my time anymore, except late evening and I'm in no mood to talk when I'm overtired

that would be sketchy - being asked for gmail and skype and they never contact you.

 

for Skype, even the ones who did contact me from here, I block them.

 

Wonder if there's a block on Gmail? hmmm. I should check that out.

 

Regardless, the emal I use to speak to clients isn't my regular one anyway, so If i close it down, it's no biggie.

I can see where Skype isn't convenient for you.

 

I get the frustration when speakers are speaking too fast in a foreign language. I'm learning Spanish on duolingo.com and I think I've got the grasp of it, and then I put on a Spanish movie. All I"m hearing are rolling r's and laughing and weird things I've never heard. Sorta like listening to Gloria on Modern Family speak to her mom on the phone. lol..

 

If whatever you do works for you, then keep doing it.

 

If you want to break out a bit, and learn a fun game that helps you brush up on your written and spoken english, use duolingo.com - it's free. Smiley Happy  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS