Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype for simple task. Why?

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
11 of 23

@Mariska P wrote:
I get the frustration when speakers are speaking too fast in a foreign language.

Even worse when they don't speak English very well, but keep asking for calls.

Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 23

I had a couple no-shows in a row so I won't do skype unless the project is considerable.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
13 of 23

@Vesna M wrote:

@Mariska P wrote:
I get the frustration when speakers are speaking too fast in a foreign language.

Even worse when they don't speak English very well, but keep asking for calls.

It's amazing that they even want to talk. Most people asking me for my Skype name don't want to talk, just used the chat feature. My Skype is set to "Do not disturb" and if somebody asks for my Skype ID I just send it but point out that

1. I won't use it for chats, Upwork is good enough for that

2. If they want to actually talk they please suggest a date and a time within business hours in my time zone

Normally the interest in Skype immediately vanishes.

mbroznovat
Community Leader
Bogdan-Mihai R Member Since: Sep 6, 2010
14 of 23

I personally like Skype for interviews. I don't do cam interviews, but audio are fine as long as the sound quality on both ends is ok.

Only once or twice did I get offers to be paid off oDesk over Skype, among the don't-know-how-many interviews I've done overall.

I'd say it's worth the hassle, and as other contractors have put it, it works wonders by being able to put a face (or voice, personality) to a name. I personally come off better when talking than in writing.

The only drawback to Skype is figuring out who is who when adding people or when contacting them - I've had clients give me their skype id and then not reply !

FYI: skype screenshots are (or at least were) acceptable means of reporting a client for oDesk policy violations. 

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
15 of 23

Interestingly most of the people who ask to Skype with me actually just want to text with it rather than voice.  It is more convenient and less messy that chatting in the message center.  I think the message center works better for updates, etc., but not dialog.  A few points in general though:

1/ Get an email address just for your freelance work.  It's fine if people want to connect with you via email but you don't need to give them your personal address.  You can create accounts for free and in minutes from a number of providers so really there is no reason you need to give anyone a personal account.

2/ Create a Skype account that is separate of your personal account.  Again no reason a business contact needs your personal account presuming you use Skype for personal communications.

A client asking for Skype or email does NOT mean they are a scammer.  I work with many clients this way.  Again if you do #1 and #2 above it doesn't really matter anyway. 

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
16 of 23
1 - then you have to check email constantly. I like Gmail and so if I make one additional account I'll have to constantly sign in and out
2 - same thing applies to Skype
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
17 of 23

@Vesna M wrote:
1 - then you have to check email constantly. I like Gmail and so if I make one additional account I'll have to constantly sign in and out

If you use an e-mail client and keep it open on your desktop, you won't need to constantly check your e-mail or repeatedly log in and out. They usually make a sound and/or pop up some type of notification when you have new mail.

mbroznovat
Community Leader
Bogdan-Mihai R Member Since: Sep 6, 2010
18 of 23

Gmail offers the ability to forward all emails to your chosen email address. No need to sign in and out, you only sign in into your master email address and see all the emails sent to all of your email addresses.

Quoting Petra: "Ask me how I know" Smiley Happy

Skype does not offer the same forwarding ability, but then again your can use two Skype accounts, it's not hard to sign in and out. Also, there was a thingie you could do to be signed on Skype on the same computer at the same time, but it's not reliable.

haydenliu
Yuxi L Member Since: Feb 21, 2016
19 of 23

Obviously that client is bored, and want to chat with ppl, without realizing we have limited time looking for jobs.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
20 of 23

@Alexandr M wrote:

Job description is simple, budget mid+, but client asked me for skype, and i think half of other freelancers who made their proposals he asked for skype too. Why? I just simply said him that at my opinion job looks simple, budjet not to high, and I required to know just 2 more things,- so skype not required.

Why he may ask for skype?

Many clients, especially from Asia, routinely ask for the Skype name. I've given up arguing with them, I just provide it and my Skype is now generally set to "Busy".

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS