Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skype for simple task. Why?

cristina-popa
Ace Contributor
Cristina P Member Since: Apr 19, 2015
21 of 23

I am not a Skype fan, nor do I need it. But once I start working with a client, presumably on long-term projects, cause that's how I like it, we do exchange emails.

Two days ago, my client was unable to access the delivered files because the site was down, so we emailed.

Today, same client sends me a project indicating she is attaching 2 files. I only got 1 file. Note that the client reassured me she sent 2 files.

It's the incredible advanced technology that makes it necessary to have multiple means of communication.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
22 of 23

@Cristina P wrote:

I am not a Skype fan, nor do I need it. But once I start working with a client, presumably on long-term projects, cause that's how I like it, we do exchange emails.

Two days ago, my client was unable to access the delivered files because the site was down, so we emailed.

Today, same client sends me a project indicating she is attaching 2 files. I only got 1 file. Note that the client reassured me she sent 2 files.

It's the incredible advanced technology that makes it necessary to have multiple means of communication.

Yes, the good old email is still the most reliable means of communication. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
23 of 23

Skype has been good and bad for me. I have one customer who lives by it. Others want to Skype me but I usually ignore until I have time. I'm sure they know I'm ignoring, but whatever.

I've also had previous clients that disappeared from upwork contact me through skype for more work (yay).  This happened recently, and we were able to fix a few escrow issues quickly without waiting between emails.

So I'm on the fence about it. Right now I don't have too many people on it, but I could see where it can be a huge problem if you start accumulating people on there. Bigger clients usually just want email because they don't have the time to sit in skype either.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS